Moving into 1/48 scale Dornier 335 B-2/V-13 and Ki84 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good TL.

As for cockpit detail, if you want to get into after market stuff you can get fantastic coloured photetched parts from Eduard. But if you don't want to wait for the shipping and pay extra for these, stick with painting the details yourself. You need to get yourself a VERY fine paint brush. Smallest you can get. After you paint the overall instrument panel, get into the gauge recesses with black, as you've done, and let it dry. I like to use gloss black for reason that follows. Then, to pick out the dials, you can use your very fine brush with a touch of white or silver on it (I like white). Be patient and use very little paint. If you make a blob, don't worry. Let it dry a bit then scratch the blob off with a pin, leaving thin areas to represent numbers and the dial. The gloss black helps because the partly dried paint doesn't stick too well.

Once you're happy and all is dry, get some clear gloss and out a dab onto the gauges. This seals the paint and simulates the glass.

Another technique you can use if there are good raised details on the gauges is to "dry brush" these. Instead of picking out the dials and numbers in white, dab a brush in a very small amount of white paint and brush it onto a piece of scrap until very little paint comes off. Then sweep your brush quickly over the instruments and you should see the raised details pick up a bit of the white but other areas should remain unpainted. This only works with raised detail.

All of the above just takes a bit of practice. Judging by your photos, you're already well on your way to becoming a master!

I like the work. hey can some one tell me if the cockpit colour was green at all? cause everyone one of ki's i have seen is in a metalic blue colour?

Thanks for the advice Crimea River.

I have had a look on eduards website there was detailing kit but It says it has been chancelled so I think I might try to paint the details on to the panel.

P.S 109 roaming, the havoc unfortantly does not come with panel decals.

DSC03065.jpg

DSC03064.jpg

Ow it has been so long.
Just to prove how long
This piocs from about March.
DSC03066.jpg

and this now
DSC03187.jpg

The 335 is nearly finsjed just need to put the Gear on.
hoping to get a 1/48 Fokker DR1, S.E.5, Spitfire MKXIV and FW190 A-8

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back