My attempt at night photography

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Eric,

>Handheld 500mm at 1/1000th on my Nikon D80 just a few minutes ago.

I love the clarity of the Nikon lens!

I wonder if we can make a statement on the relative latitudes of our vantage position from the difference in angle of the moon shot, assuming we have both held our camera without any cant? :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

It's actually the Sigma lens that I hear many people say is soft at 500mm. I say learn to use your gear properly and you won't have that problem. ;) The key is to watch the F-stops. Get the lens to closed up and softness is going to happen.

That sounds like too much math for me on the relative latitudes!

Hi Evan,

>I say learn to use your gear properly and you won't have that problem. ;) The key is to watch the F-stops. Get the lens to closed up and softness is going to happen.

Nice to know there are good third-party lenses around, too :)

My camera is a Panasonic DMC FZ-30, a compact with an integral 35 mm - 420 mm lens which is fairly good too, but the 2x telephoto converter I sometimes use really compromises quality a bit.

>That sounds like too much math for me on the relative latitudes!

I just found a difference of 22° in between two lines connecting two distinctive points on the moon surface in our respective pictures, and calculating back from 53.5 degrees north latitude, I'd say you must have taken this photograph at about 31.5 degrees north.

Now Moorpark, California seems to be at 34.3 degrees north, so either you were far from home when you took that shot, or we didn't hold our cameras as accurately upright as required for a good navigational fix ;)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Yeah, teleconverters do have a tendency to soften things a bit on the far end, and sometimes there isn't a way around that.

I was definitely in Moorpark last night when I shot that, outside on the driveway in my socks! I took it at about 7:15-7:30 time frame and the moon was just above the neighbors house. Besides I was shooting for clarity, not navigation, I knew where I was! :evil4:

Yeah, teleconverters do have a tendency to soften things a bit on the far end, and sometimes there isn't a way around that.

I was definitely in Moorpark last night when I shot that, outside on the driveway in my socks! I took it at about 7:15-7:30 time frame and the moon was just above the neighbors house. Besides I was shooting for clarity, not navigation, I knew where I was! :evil4:

Hey Eric,

Nice shot of the moon, I had a quick look at your website, excellent work, Do you ever get up to our side of the border? Sept long weekend is the big show here at the CNE CANADIAN INTERNATIONAL AIR SHOW. You a Nikon man?

Dale

Here's my 'nearly night' picture, from when I got the Nikon last year:

Attachments

• sunset_001.jpg
    sunset_001.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 108
Nice one, Clave!

And yes, Dale, I am a Nikon guy. I started with the D50 and am now shooting with the D80. I have my eye on a D300, but that won't be for a bit yet. I doubt I'll make it up that way this year. My schedule is starting to really book up. Thanks for taking a look at the site and for your kind words.

And yes, Dale, I am a Nikon guy. I started with the D50 and am now shooting with the D80. I have my eye on a D300, but that won't be for a bit yet. I doubt I'll make it up that way this year. My schedule is starting to really book up. Thanks for taking a look at the site and for your kind words.

Eric
I hear the D300 is a nice camera, it goes for about $1900.00 here.Myself I'm a Canon man 30D with eyes set on a Mark III someday;) .I hear ya on the schedule part, between drag races and truck and air shows keeps me busy also.

Dale

Hi again,

Just playing around with the camera ... airliner, hand-held, night shot :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• P1170344_Nightflight.jpg
    P1170344_Nightflight.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 67
G'day fella's, I finally got my camera sorted (well the wife did!) so I'm able to share these pics I took about 3 weeks ago. This event was called "The Northern Lights" and was basically an impressive light show illuminating several of the older buildings along North Terrace in Adelaide. There are multiple pics of the same buildings because the pattern changed every few minutes. Hope you enjoy the pics as much as I enjoyed the night.:D

First building.

Attachments

• IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1628.JPG