My first book review, YAY ! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maestro

Master Sergeant
Greetings ladies and gentlemen.

I just dropped by the Atlantic Flyer website and found that the review of my book was finally posted.

Atlantic Flyer - Voice of the General Aviation Community

All in all, I liked the review... Except that I was shocked to see that there was still mistakes in my work ! Aren't publishers supposed to spot grammatical errors, dammit ? :mad:

Anyway... It took me about 2 years to write the French version, 2 more years to translate it in English and get published, and a little less than 2 years to get my first review... I guess "2" is my lucky number. Now if only I could sell 2 million books... :lol:

And now we know Sabrinas' real name haha....

Great review Brigit, u did our old pal Yan right.... Bummer that some of the translations didnt quite cross the language barrier Maestro, but Im glad to see something happening for u on the book gimmick....

Has it really been that long??? I remember when u first started talking about it and the difficulties u were having in finding a publisher..... Real happy to see it getting out to the masses in English my friend....

And now we know Sabrinas' real name haha....

Great review Brigit, u did our old pal Yan right.... Bummer that some of the translations didnt quite cross the language barrier Maestro, but Im glad to see something happening for u on the book gimmick....

Has it really been that long??? I remember when u first started talking about it and the difficulties u were having in finding a publisher..... Real happy to see it getting out to the masses in English my friend....

Thanks, Les.

Well yes, let's see... I started putting ideas on paper when I was about 17. At first, the story was happening during McAndrew's training and the Battle of Britain period. But after some... erhm... "re-thinking" (the way I was telling the story plainly sucked), I decided to re-write the story and switch of timeframe.

I "recorded" my author's rights for the final French version at the age of 19. (I clearly remember as I was in my last days of college.) I then spent about a year to try to get published in French in both Québec and France but failed... Some publishers even sent the unread manuscript back to me. They didn't even bother to read the first page.

I then spent about six months to translate my work into English with an other six months for corrections. I "recorded" my author's rights for the final English version at the age of 21. I got published a few months later... If I remember well, I received my contract a few weeks before my 22nd birthday.

And Sabrina contacted me to confirm that she would be reviewing my book when I was 24... Just a few days before I turned 25.

... So it took me 8 friggin years from the first draft to my first review. :shock:

Er, I don't want to be a wet blanket - but the 701st Squadron? :shock:
British Squadron numbers never used st or nd or th after them- and 701 Squadon was a second line unit of the Royal Navys Fleet Air Arm. Perhaps this can be corrected if the book goes to a second edition.

Congratz!!!! :occasion5: And considering the amount of editing that goes into alot of the books that are put out today, you should be VERY happy that you got an editor competent enough to only allow a "few" mistakes to pass (hey, we're all human!)!!! Some of the crap that passes for literature reads like it was written by...well...Flyboy. :lol:

Thank you all.

Er, I don't want to be a wet blanket - but the 701st Squadron? :shock:
British Squadron numbers never used st or nd or th after them- and 701 Squadon was a second line unit of the Royal Navys Fleet Air Arm. Perhaps this can be corrected if the book goes to a second edition.

Yeah, I know... I wanted a fake squadron to make sure some smartasses would not drop by and say "X Squadron wasn't there on that date"... I read about the 701 (and 702) Squadron being a training unit of the FAA only weeks after my book went into print. I did check on the RAF squadron list, but I forgot to check on the FAA squadron list before sending my manuscript in.

Well done mate! I suspect that signed copies will be sent out to members of this fourm, yes? :lol:

:lol:

Well, it could be possible, but a bit tricky... I would have to know your addresses, order a few copies from my publisher (which can take up to six weeks for me to receive them (if no one steal copies from my package like it once happened)), pay for them, then request you to send me a money order to cover the price of the book and then send it out to you...

Or you could order it directly from the publisher, send it to me so I can sign it and then I ship it back to you... But this would be more expensive for you as PublishAmerica sometimes make special offers for their authors (i.e. 40% or even 50% discount). Although those offers are rare... The last one was in June and I don't expect the next one to come before Halloween.

Congrats, Yan. I've haven't gotten any book reviews yet, but I know these things take time. Besides, photo journals get a bit less draw than fiction/non-fiction. I hope this generates some more sales for you.

Oh, it will come for you, I'm sure. The pictures you posted when it was published were awsome, I don't know why your photo journal wouldn't draw some attention.

congratulations Yan! now when is the next book coming???

Uh... Good question... I guess I'll wait to see how many of them are being sold. If I can sell enough of them, then I will write the next... erhm... episode. Otherwise I might try an other subject... Or give up writing, I don't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back