My Mum....Your Help with Wishes Guys!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

consider it done....

she got rather upset today, when we visited the doctor, went to get signed off for a handicapped parking permit and was told straight out...with the issues currently on the table she cannot drive again and needs to hand in her drivers license....

Went back later in the day to talk to her about it...fiercely wants to be independent but understands why...

If its any consollation mate....and mum.... my mum is mobility impaired and about 10 years ago, we (my sister and I) persuaded her to sell her car as she only ever used it about once every three weeks for the food shopping. Actually, with her state of fitness, we reckoned she wasnt safe to cope with modern traffic !. As a bonus, we talked about the cash she would have spare by not having to tax, mot, insure and run a car and the fact that that cash could go to other things. Untill her mobility got too bad, she had numerous trips to see her friends in the States over the next 10 years until advised by a doctor that she should not fly again. Without the car, she was able to do all these trips with the 'spare' cash she wasnt having to shell out on running a car.

She does still moan and b*tch about her apparent loss of independance, but deep down, even tho under different circumstances, she does understand and agree, its for her own safety.

Yes, its a kick in the teeth when you get news like that, no-body wants to have that entitlement taken away from them...I would be more than annoyed if I was told I had to hand my licence in !...but, remember that allthough you might not see it straight away, there are definite advantages to not having to drive.

Just think....no more stress and worry about getting struck in traffic, mum can actually sit back, relax and enjoy being driven (When ever I take my mum anywhere, I get a running commentary on the sights I'm driving by, what bush is in flower, what the trees are looking like...'Oh, I've never seen that before even though I've driven on this bit or road umpteen times before".) Tell ya mate...does my bl**dy head in !

I tell you categorically, I've learnt more about the roads and surrounding area I drive, since taking mum as a passenger, simply because I cant spend all the time looking out of the door windows as the scenery rushes...ooops, sorry !... 'goes by' serenly as I'm too busy watching out for the road ahead and whats that 'numpty' doing soo close behind.

And I'll let you into a little secret...but dont tell mum !...privately, she'll be pleased as punch, feeling like royalty, when you come and pick her up and take her out, or to your pad, for a sunday lunch. She'll soon get used to not having to drive.

Sorry, didn't intend typing quite so much (blame it on the rather nice bottle of Oz White Wine I'm slowly working my way thro' !) so I'll stop here, but will sign off by saying that its about time your mum got her own 'siggy' on this site !

Sorry to hear that Wayne but maybe for the best. Listen to your son Mrs Little...:|

(blame it on the rather nice bottle of Oz White Wine I'm slowly working my way thro' !)

Good to read Gary, I find it limbers up the typing fingers and you're more likely to hit "Submit Reply" than when sober...:)

Sorry to hear that Mrs Little! :( Maybe should hire Wayne as private chauffeur. But then, he'll have to purchase a car suitable a Lady of the upper class.... :D

Give them h*ll Mrs L!

It's never good to have to give up your independance, but, if it helps, I've just returned from visiting my brother, over the weekend, for his 40th wedding anniversary. As my car is still deciding to have 'off days', I used public transport for the first time in donkey's years, trying both train and coach for the journey from Cheshire to North Yorkshire. And you know, I actually enjoyed it! No stress of having to deal with d**k heads on the motorway, being able to rely on departure and arrival times, sitting back in comfort and, best of all, it cost me (with disability concession tickets) only 20% of what it would have done in fuel alone, had I driven my 4 litre Jeep on the approximately 170 miles round-trip journey!

Iv'e mentioned in a couple of threads and to some members through PM's that my Mum has not been well....well the Doctor's have now confirmed their initial diagnosis.

She has Multiple Myeloma, (short brief below) so we now know why she has been in so much pain and why she has suffered a number of broken bones.....sternum, ribs, collar bone and now while in hospital her arm..all caused by tumors or lesions on various bones including her spine where the most pain has originated...

Today she starts her first course of Chemotherapy treatment.

Last year when my Dad died, she was so thrilled at the wishes you guys passed on through the forum, she read every one!....so I would REALLY appreciate your help with a bunch of wishes to keep her spirits up.

Thanks for reading....

Multiple Myeloma

It is the most common primary bone tumour and is found in the spine, skull, ribs, sternum and pelvis.

It is a malignant tumour of plasma cells that causes widespread osteolytic bone damage.

Understanding Mutiple Myeloma - What is Multiple Myeloma?

Large numbers of abnormal plasma cells are made in the bone marrow. The abnormal plasma cells crowd out the normal bone marrow so that it cannot make enough normal blood cells. Myeloma also weakens the immune system and the level of normal antibodies is reduced.

The abnormal plasma cells make an antibody known as M-band or paraprotein. This paraprotein can be detected in the blood of most people who have multiple myeloma.

From the bone marrow, myeloma may spread into the bone itself.

Myeloma can produce substances that can soften the bones (osteoporosis) or destroy areas of bone (lytic lesions).

When bone is damaged like this, it releases calcium into the blood and can cause a high level of calcium in the blood. This is called hypercalcaemia.

There are three major features of multiple myeloma:
• Bone destruction: the expansion of the abnormal plasma cells in the bone marrow causes destruction of normal bone. This causes bone pain, and may lead to fractures where the bone has been weakened.
• Bone marrow infiltration: the bone marrow is infiltrated by plasma cells. This means that normal blood cells cannot be produced, leading to low levels of red blood cells (anaemia), white blood cells (neutropaenia) and platelets (thrombocytopenia). Patients with multiple myeloma are at increased risk of developing infections, partly due to their impaired white cell production.
• Kidney impairment: the kidneys may be damaged in multiple myeloma in a number of ways. Bone destruction by plasma cells leads to increased levels of calcium in the blood (hypercalcemia), which is harmful to the kidneys. In addition, the abnormal immunoglobulins produced by the plasma cells can be deposited in the kidney tubules and cause damage. Overall, kidney failure occurs in approximately one quarter of multiple myeloma patients.
Tumour spread in multiple myeloma is usually confined to the bones and bone marrow only. Rarely, the tumour may spread to the spleen, lymph nodes, or other organs.
Wayne Little Please pass on my best wishes to your mother. Tell her I will keep her in my prayers! God bless!

Yesterday Mum was ambushed with a call asking if she was coming to her radiotherapy appointment...she didn't even know about it, had been waiting for confirmation of when she was going in...then they stuffed her around, she got rather upset over the whole affair. To top it off a bout of vomiting followed the treatment...nett result a real sh!tty day.:(

Called in after work today, she was much better!:D

Wayne

I hope Mum puked all over the medical staff..............yeah I know what it's like getting shoved here and there without you knowing of it, what's up ?, with no replies, just do it............cause we say so........

prayers are with you and the Family

E ~

Sorry to hear of the bad day. Tell those F'ers to take it easy as they are supposed to be helping you, not gripping at you. If they don't ease up, I'll stuff Les in a crate and send him to Australia to straighten up some attitudes.

Thoughts and prayers Mrs. Little.

My brother took Mum in for an appointment today....Something has improved quite dramatically from some test results!?

Mum doesn't have to go into hospital tomorrow for her Chemo treatment, Doctor wants to see her again in 2 weeks and will then look to start a tablet course that she can take at home......need to find out more!:D :D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back