My Spitfire factory

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Won't tell you how much but seriously it was bite-his-hand-off territory... the two SAM reference books alone make this a great buy :lol:

But the missus ain't gonna be happy. She went into the loft the other day (why did she go in the loft? She never goes in the loft!) and discovered the full horror of The Stash...

Still, could be worse, I could be this guy!

- The Airfix Tribute Forum - :: Index

Did you see the guy on page 3 who listed his stash? That guy has more 1/72 models then my LHS. GOOD LORD! The money that guy has spent on models is ludacris! :shock:

Nice stash.. notice the huge room and the smallest workbench ive ever seen.. that little chair must be giving him back pain!

Did you see the guy on page 3 who listed his stash? That guy has more 1/72 models then my LHS. GOOD LORD! The money that guy has spent on models is ludacris! :shock:

442 kits he says.

Surely, there must be a point where it stops being about enthusiasm for the hobby, and becomes more a case of mental illness?! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with you there mate! I suppose we are all guilty, at one time or another, of buying kits to 'do later', or grabbing them whilst they are available. But there's got to be a limit to a 'stash', surely??!!
Like your Spit, and I think I might have some colour pics of that bird, or one from the same squadron. I'll post it/them when I find them!
BTW, that 'antenna thingy' - do you mean the pitot tube?!!

Great work Tony! :D Great haul too, Some nice looking kits in there!

Terry, I'd say you're right, sounds like the pitot tube to me too.

Clashed with you Tony: the pitot tube is the small metal tube either under the wing or fixed in the leading edge. It's filled with a fluid (water or oil?) which measures air pressure and temperature.

Last edited:
Heck, and I thought it was for counting Pitots......
Evan is correct. The pressure reading from the Pitot tube is sent to the Air Speed Indicator, one of the 'Basic Six' flight instruments, which displays the aircraft's speed of course, but in the sky, not the ground speed. Ground speed had to be calculated by knowing the wind speed, direction etc, and by 'dead reckoning' calculated by elapsed time, and position. Many aircraft carried smoke floats or markers, to aid in the latter exercises.

Last edited:
Well ya learn something new every day. Until a few weeks back, I thought the gun sight in the cockpit of the Mk II that I built was an extremely large joystick...

So modelling is educational ! (reference to an old thread!!)
Anyway, here's the pic of that Spit. It's Spit XI, PA842, of the 14th Photo Squadron, 7th Photographic Group, taking off from its base at Mount Farm, UK, about March 1945. This unit's Spits were originally painted PRU blue overall, the paint being stripped off I believe in late 1944. The picture is from Roger Freeman's ' The Mighty Eighth in Colour'.

Attachments

• Can Jan 148.jpg
    Can Jan 148.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 158
Great photo Terry!

...With the pitot, so it dosen't measure outside air temperature aswell then...wonder why I thought that..?

Thanks guys. The book is well worth getting - crammed with colour pics of the 8th in the UK during WW2. Some of the pics look like they were taken yesterday!
Evan, I'm not 100% sure, but some earlier Pitots might well have provided an outside temp reading. Nowadays, there's normally a separate sensor, looking a bit like a small, short rod, which does the job. The Pitot basically works on air pressure against a diaphragm, or a small impellor in some cases, which is calibrated to the ASI in the cockpit. This is why the Pitot head itself is mounted outboard, away from the prop wash and/or boundary layer, so that the reading is taken in 'clean' air.

Thanks for the explanation Terry!

Makes me wonder where the hell I picked up the info I mentioned ?? (Maybe the temperature reading pitot was the two tube version of erly RAF types?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back