My WW2 photos/Vids album (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lancaster.jpg
mosquito.jpg
russian ackack.jpg

The picture of the P-51's is actually from the 1948 movie "Fighter Squadron". They could not get any Bf 109's for the movie, so they painted some P-51's to look German.
Yes you are correct, good eye. I wasn't trying to fool anyone, unless it was into thinking they were captured in midair after passing through a camo paint cloud lol But it's just to represent the Several P-51s that were captured by the Luftwaffe as Beuteflugzeug following crash landings. And subsequently repaired and test-flown by the Zirkus Rosarius, or Rosarius Staffel, the official Erprobungskommando of the Luftwaffe High Command, for combat evaluation at Göttingen. The actual aircraft were repainted with German markings and bright yellow nose and belly for identification. A number of P-51B/P-51Cs – including examples marked with Luftwaffe Geschwaderkennung codes T9+CK, T9+FK, T9+HK and T9+PK (with the "T9" prefix not known to be officially assigned to any existing Luftwaffe formation from their own records, outside of the photos of Zirkus Rosarius-flown aircraft) — with a total of three captured P-51Ds also flown by the unit.64 (I believe) Some of those P-51s were found by Allied forces at the end of the war; others crashed during testing. The Mustang is also listed in the appendix to the novel KG 200 as having been flown by the German secret operations unit KG 200, which tested, evaluated and sometimes clandestinely operated captured enemy aircraft during World War Im aware of the movie, "Fighter Squadron," a 1948 Raoul Walsh pic starring Edmund O'Brien and the P-47 Thunderbolt sqns. P-51's were used as stand-ins for Luftwaffe aircraft yes. I guess no Spanish knock off 109s had been built by then, or at least willingly donated to a movie....
Apologies for my bad German.

A little known aspect of the air war over the Falkland Islands in 1982 was the use of an austere Forward Operating Base (FOB) at San Carlos for Harriers and helicopters.

The design of the Harrier was predicated on operating away from large airbases and in austere operating bases that made use of rapidly laid runways, supermarket car parks and roads.
RAF@100
Harrier-hide.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back