P-47 'Bridge Buster', 1/48th scale, 9th Air Force Diorama.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks again chaps!
The model itself is virtually finished, with the prop, canopy and bombs now in place. There are a couple of areas which need re-touching, and the prop needs to be re-fitted, with the prop shaft cut back, and the boss re-painted.
The prop shaft, apart from being slightly too long, causing the prop to sit too far forward, is also extremely tight, and does not allow the prop to move at all, not that this is a major concern. Also, the silver paint I used for the prop boss was, once again, horrible Humbrol, and it's dried streaky, rough and rather grainy.
PIC 1. The poor finish on the prop boss can be seen here, together with the 'sit' of the prop itself, as well as some areas which need re-touching. One of the stencil decals also needs attention, and then the whole lot toned-down slightly, to reduce the bright, 'new' look of the decals and paintwork.
PIC 2. The 1,000 lb bombs were spares from an Academy kit, and these had the nose fuse vanes removed, and re-positioned inside the tail fins, to represent a tail-fused weapon. The yellow bands were hand painted, and then the entire bomb casings were given a worn, dirty and weathered look, before mounting on the brass pins, with the sway braces also sourced from Academy spares.
PICS 3 to 6 Show how the model looks to date.
PICS 7 and 8. A couple of low-angle shots, to give an impression of how it should look on the diorama base.

I hope to get most of the base done over the weekend, and maybe make a start on the figures, if replicating the Sommerfeld tracking doesn't take forever.
Thanks again for your kind remarks and general interest and, with luck, I should have some more pics tomorrow.

Attachments

• P-47 Build 245.jpg
    P-47 Build 245.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 150
  • P-47 Build 244.jpg
    P-47 Build 244.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 163
  • P-47 Build 249.jpg
    P-47 Build 249.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 190
  • P-47 Build 250.jpg
    P-47 Build 250.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 162
  • P-47 Build 252.jpg
    P-47 Build 252.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 161
  • P-47 Build 253.jpg
    P-47 Build 253.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 154
  • P-47 Build 258.jpg
    P-47 Build 258.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 161
  • P-47 Build 267.jpg
    P-47 Build 267.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 164
Thanks very much chaps, as ever, it's very much appreciated.
Considering it's the first model I've been able to complete in almost a year, I'm about 60% pleased with it.
Poor-quality paint, that disaster with the Future, and the odd bit of cack- handed work by your's truly has prevented a really first rate result but, given I can get the diorama base, figures and any accessories right, it should create the right overall impression when finally completed.
I'm working on the base at the moment, so not much to show yet, but I might have some pics soon.

Really nice job Terry. Looking forward to seeing the completed diorama. Great to see you're well enough to tackle some really delicate painting, such as the rings on the bombs. That's something that, even in the whole of my health, I'd be hesitant to take on!

Keep up the great work,

Gerry

Thanks very much chaps!
I'm currently tackling the Sommerfeld tracking, using fine nylon mesh net, the type used for wedding veils etc. and, so far, it's proving easier than I'd anticipated - famous last words, perhaps?!!!
It's time consuming, as I have to first paint the mesh, and then cut it to scale dimensions for each 'roll' that would have been laid, and then add the joining/tensioning cables and pegs, but It seems to be laying down ok - I expected it to want to curl up.
I hope to have some pics of the progress in the next day or so.

Thanks again chaps!
I'm slowly progressing with the mesh tracking - the material has been cut to scale lengths and painted and, with luck, I should get it laid on the base tomorrow.
The figures to be used have been cleaned up, with seams and mould marks removed, and are ready for painting, and I'm currently selecting/making suitable items for 'set dressing'.
I'm afraid I forgot to re-charge the camera batteries, so no pics at the moment, but I hope to be able to post something some time tomorrow.
Thanks once again for your encouraging comments and continued interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back