P-47 'Bridge Buster', 1/48th scale, 9th Air Force Diorama.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Cory, Andy and Wojtek.
Here's a few quick up-date pics, just to 'keep the pot boiling' - nothing special, in fact somewhat underwhelming, but better than nothing!

PIC 1. The diorama base under construction, representing the dispersal point at the ALG at Headcorn, Kent, UK, in mid June, 1944, where the 362nd Fighter Group were based, before moving to France in July.
A piece of MDF had 'static grass' mat glued down, and a temporary border added from painted tape (this will be replaced by polished wood trim at a later date).
Here, the 'grass' is in the process of being removed in patches, and also in the area of what will represent the taxi track, at the front of the dispersal area. The shiny, bright green areas are wet patches where the 'grass' has just been removed, and will eventually be painted a 'bare earth' colour, and textured, as seen on some of the patches done earlier.
Once this is done, a light dusting of 'grass' fibres, and thin clumps of 'weeds' will be added, before positioning and fixing the mesh track mats for the dispersal 'pan'.
PIC 2. The material used to simulate the wire-mesh tracking is fine nylon netting, of the type used for dress-making, wedding veils, Jan's weekend costume, etc, which is available in a number of colours. In this case, dark green is being used, as I had some 'in stock' for making camouflage nets, chain link fencing and so on.
PIC 3. The netting has been stretched out and smoothed down flat, before cutting into strips, ready for painting, to represent a genetic type of mat tracking as used on these temporary airfields, both in the UK and on the Continent. With a little artistic licence, I've chosen a cross between 'Sommerfeld Matting' and 'Army Track Mat', both of which were very similar in appearance, but in slightly different widths and roll lengths, and employing slightly different methods of laying and pitching. Once laid, and then 'bedded in' by the passage of vehicles or aircraft, and coated in dust or mud, the differences were hardly noticeable and, in this scale, I feel that a representation of the mesh will suffice.
Once painted in a brownish shade, with a hint of 'dusty rust', the strips of net will be stretched over the base, joined with lengths of stretched sprue or thin plastic rod, also painted, and fixed in place with the aid of a few drops of 'superglue' - I hope!
PIC 4. Two of the figures which will be used, both recognisable as being from old Monogram kits, the blue-coloured figure dating originally from the early 1960's, as evidenced by the 'soft' moulding. Both figures are in the process of having moulding seams and ejector pin marks removed, and have had a general 'clean up', with the fire extinguisher horn being drilled and hollowed out also. The blue figure, in particular, will also have some slight 're-sculpting' done, in order to improve, if possible, the 'soft' detail caused by the age of the moulds.
Once this is done, both figures will be painted, and some detail shading carried out. The 'silver' figure, with arm raised, will represent the Crew Chief, and will be positioned on the front, port side of the aircraft, as if signalling the pilot 'Clear to start engine', whilst the figure with the fire extinguisher, the Assistant Crew Chief, will be near the starboard side of the engine, clear of the prop, ready to tackle any engine fire on start-up.
I may add a third, converted figure, but this will be decided once all elements of the diorama are in place, including the 'set dressing' accessories, as I don't want to 'over crowd' the scene in a relatively compact display.
So, that's it so far and, all being well, I should have some more progress pics soon.

Attachments

• P-47 Build 268.jpg
    P-47 Build 268.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 124
  • P-47 Build 269.jpg
    P-47 Build 269.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 130
  • P-47 Build 270.jpg
    P-47 Build 270.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 131
  • P-47 Build 274.jpg
    P-47 Build 274.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 142
Terry, I've been gone a while and just taken in what I missed here. You sir have done a wonderful job. Can't wait to see it finished. I noticed a antenna off the bottom of the left wing. Did all P-47s have this or was it command aircraft only?

Thanks again chaps, glad you like it so far.
Aaron, the antenna under the port wing is, I believe, the I.F.F. dipole, and all P-47's in the ETO (that is, operating from the UK and then northern Europe), certainly from at least late 1943, should have it fitted, as far as I'm aware.
I'd have to check on P-47C and early 'D' models, as the I.F.F. unit fitted at that period might have utilised a different form of antenna. Note also the lack of a radio antenna wire - the aircraft used VHF radio and, like the P-51, the antenna was in the vertical mast. Many models of 8th and 9th USAAF fighters of the period incorrectly include the antenna wire.
I've now got most of the basic ground work on the diorama base completed, and it's drying at the moment. Tomorrow, I'm planning on fixing the mesh track, adding some sparse scrub vegetation, and then starting on the figures and accessories.
Pics soon!

'flipping the bird!'

Oh dear! Has one not had sufficient bacon this morning? Was one's bath water a tad too cool? Someone left the cap off the toothpaste?
Or is it just a 'that time of the month' hissy fit old chap ................. running away!

Vic, a visit to the local haberdashery can sometimes reveal a number of materials suitable for modelling applications, if a little lateral thinking is applied. I first thought of using the mesh back in the late 1970's, when I needed to replicate 'chain link' garden fences for a 1/35th scale Arnhem diorama, and have since used it for fences, camouflage nets, radiator screens on larger scales, and a number of other applications. There is some very nice 'micro fibre' material, in various weaves, that can be used for seat belts, even down to 1/48th scale, if the right type is used. I guess that's where HGW got the idea for their current range.
I was considering sending some 'Pansy Pink' net to Jan, for his Easter outfit, but I get the feeling he won't be too pleased with my generosity and thoughtfulness............ ............

The finished Jug is looking fantastic Terry and I'm closely watching how you put this diorama together. You've got me itching to pull a P-47 out of my stash and go too it. Maybe the Academy "N" for the current group build.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back