PayPal Scam?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

fubar57

General
Nov 22, 2009
The Jungles of Canada
Just got an email from "PayPal" saying they had a surprise gift for me. Went to the actual PayPal site and there no mention of free gifts

IMHO that's the scam. I would say somebody wants you to send your personal data. Quite typical way of grabbing the data.

Same here.
That said, two years ago, I got a call from someone on behalf of Pay Pal, telling me I'd won a draw from a recent competition survey, and £1,000 would be deposited into my account within four or five days. Didn't ask for any of my details, but I didn't believe it.
Checked with PP, and they were unaware of any survey with a possible prize, but had received a couple of calls about the same thing.
Low and behold, a few days later, £1,000 was in my PP account, quickly transferred to my Bank account !

Just got an email from "PayPal" saying they had a surprise gift for me. Went to the actual PayPal site and there no mention of free gifts
Geo, when you receive a suspicious email (can be from your bank, from Revenue Canada or from the Queeno_O) just hover with the cursor over the link they have added for use. It doesn't matter what the link/address is, the real address will appear in the left bottom corner (usually) . You'll be surprised where you will be redirected!
Below is a sample from my email-box (I have no spam so I'm using a "good" email from the trash bin): the cursor hovers over "Austrian Expressionism..." etc. but the real address is below, left:
pqPhRJ3.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just had another from the USPS which as a Canadian, I use all the time. This and the PayPal one were in my Junk Mail

I use PayPal on just about everything I purchase on-line but so far have ween spared that scam but the 20 Robo-calls a day more than make up for it. I suspect hat it is because of my cell phone number which I kept through the years. It has a Chicago area code.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back