Pearl harbor Type 99 Bomber..Val

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wow! that is detail...Im going to try to do my next model with simaler detail tryly Awesome!

Boy its hot here!! Its 11.30am as I type and it has already passed 36C/97F, going to be a very hot weekend with both days tipped to be 40C/104F if it reaches this mark then where I am it will most likely be 42C/107F.

Wurger, Canopy masks are a great idea, saves a lot of time cutting out the sections.
Sometimes they are not perfectly cut so you have to add or cut off extra.
I must say that I still DO cut out and apply my own tape masks where needed so it depends on the aircraft type. They are most valuable when there are a lot of panels to cover or they are rather small such as on 1/72 models.

Ok main paint colour has been applied to the Val with my Zero in the background
showing a different mix of the same type of colour of Grey-Green.

Attachments

• Val_aa.JPG
    Val_aa.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 164
Well the temp hit a high of 41.8C/106F today here in Adelaide, out here north of the city, my thermometer was showing 44C/111F ! in for a hot night as 40 predicted again tomorrow.

Ok this new shot shows the forward cowling, now painted in a Blue-Black.

Attachments

• IMGP5585w.JPG
    IMGP5585w.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 152
Okay, I must have seen a few mislabels on pictures. It is nothing new mislabelling of pictures. Ie. as far as I am aware there is no AH-65 and yet an image I found gave that designation. A potential upgrade for the AH-64A that wasn't adopted perhaps that wasn't really external? Yes, impressive. Keep up the good work. It is looking great.

Love what you have posted,

one question from the inexperienced, namely me.

How do you mask off the canopy so precisely?

cheers

Hello Heinz, the masking is done from precut vinyl masks they are already done for you, all you have to do is peel them off carefully and apply with some tweezers.Again, carefully position them with a steady hand, take your time and you will love the result!.
I must say that some masks are not perfectly cut to fit, sometimes a bit large or small but you get plenty of surrounding mask to add more if needed or make new sections if needed.
Masks are available for quite a number of aircraft so if you get a chance try some!

Ok some more progress shots..this time showing the before and after of hilighting the panel lines using a pencil, the type with the click type button to feed the lead out. You need to have some sandpaper handy to keep a chisel edge and simple run it down the panel lines carefully a bit at a time, I keep a white rubber handy if I slip and rub away the extra, keep the rubber clean by rubbing on another surface to get rid of the lead or you will smudge it back on the aircraft and it is harder to remove if you dont keep it clean, probably a quick respray may be needed in some cases
Once you gloss coat the model the shiny 'steel' type finish darkens and looks much better.

Attachments

• IMGP5584w.JPG
    IMGP5584w.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 131
  • IMGP5611w.JPG
    IMGP5611w.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 122
That is an intresting technique. I normally have used some kind of oil for the panel lines but this seems like it might be a bit easier, deffinatly a lot less messy.

Hi Wurger, the pencil line method is done before the gloss is applied, it is quick and simple and as Adler said not messy, you just need to be careful, if you slip you can easily gouge into the adjacent panel , then you need to lightly sand back to plastic and respray. If the slip is light then a clean rubber removes the excess lead line. You must keep the sharp point to get into the panel line so you only do a bit at a time.

Here are two more shots, now showing the gloss applied and ready to apply the decals.

Attachments

• IMGP5619w.JPG
    IMGP5619w.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 116
  • IMGP5621w.JPG
    IMGP5621w.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 116
THX for the info Wayne. The panel lines look really nice.But I have another question ( certanly if I can ask you a question ).Do you know if the lamp-shades for navigation lights on wing tips were coloured or not ( in the case the bulbs had to be coloured)?

Ok some more progress shots..this time showing the before and after of hilighting the panel lines using a pencil, the type with the click type button to feed the lead out ( from Waynes post)

Hi Guys...this is what I use for the panel lines...the HB lead is softer than other lead types and goes on darker. you will use a fair bit, just go outside every so often and get rid of the accumulated lead 'dust' from your sandpaper.

Attachments

• IMGP5948.JPG
    IMGP5948.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 106

Users who are viewing this thread

Back