Picture of the day.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Typhoon taking off from Thorney Island on D-Day.
pilot is W/Cmdr Peter Brooker, i am thinking of doing this Tiffy when i build my Italeri Typhoon MkIb

large.jpg

Nice one Karl. I forgot to mention, when we exchanged e-mails about this, that there seems to be a 'spot' on the spinner. I've got pics of similar additions to Typhoon spinners which, like the Luftwaffe 'burbleschnauz', were intended to spoil the aim of enemy gunners, in this case flak gunners.

Nice one Karl. I forgot to mention, when we exchanged e-mails about this, that there seems to be a 'spot' on the spinner. I've got pics of similar additions to Typhoon spinners which, like the Luftwaffe 'burbleschnauz', were intended to spoil the aim of enemy gunners, in this case flak gunners.

oh i know about that, the spinner is either red or dark earth with a yellow/orange spiral, one of the reasons i fancy this one, though as i mentioned to you i might do a bombphoon instead !

Great pics, guys. Here's a recollection from a chap whom I was in letter (that dates it!) contact with many years back who served with Coastal Command with a Beaufighter squadron. He recounted aan incident of an attack on a hulk moored off the coast of Scotland for the purposes of firing practise:

"The three-inch rocket used by Coastal Command had a solid, non explosive armour-piercing head, which, according to the books should punch a six inch hole in a ship's side. When we rowed out to view the damage, we found the ship's plates were flared back like tin plate, leaving a diamond-shaped hole, through which a man could have wheeled a wheelbarrow. Furthermore, it had ploughed its way through angle-irons and girders inside the ship and out the other side! These rockets, if fired short, could travel underwater like a torpedo to give a "wet hit". They could also sometimes turn upwards and come out of the water again, so it was advised to move to one side after firing."

A National Fire Service (NFS) fire engine rushes down Broad Street, Reading, BERKSHIRE, ENGLAND, UK, 1945 on the way to a fire. The appliance is travelling towards the camera. In the background, several other vehicles can be seen, and pedestrians go about their daily business.

large.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back