Post Your Models!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I don't often venture into 1/72 scale, but this was a Battle of Britain build with a deadline and I knew I couldn't complete something in a larger scale.

This is a famous incident as a 'dogfight double'. Gerald 'Stapme' Stapleton shot/forced down the one that got away, Franz von Werra,

Both kits are the newish Airfix offerings. They do not come as a double. The Bf 109 comes with those markings, I had to make up my own for Stapleton's Spitfire.

Interesting story about Werra, after being shot down and captured, he was sent to Canada. He escaped to the U.S., which was then neutral, then by ship to South America. There, he made his way back to Germany to rejoin the fight. Cheeky.

Nice one Steve, and looks the biz.
Coincidentally, I am currently researching further into the escapes of von Werra, and Heinz Schnabel, and had intended to visit the Lake District this coming week, in order to photograph the two former PoW camps involved, with the aim of revising and expanding the background notes to a previous model build. Unfortunately, this will now have to wait until the current lockdown ends.
Contrary to popular belief, Franz von Werra was not the only German to escape to the USA from Canada, and nor was he the first, a fact I'd forgotten about, until re-reading James Leasor's 1956 book "The one that gat away", on which the 1957 movie of the same title was based.
All will be revealed once I mange to gather the photos and materials for the article ...............

Last edited:
Sorry guys! My last model was a tank. I alternate between plastic and model railroad structures. And then I randomize my plastics among planes, ships and vehicles. This one is the RyeField Models M4A3 76W HVSS late model Sherman with complete interior. Between the ridiculous track construction and the incredible interior, the model had almost 2,000 parts. 760 of them were associated with the workable tracks with 6 parts per tread link,. It took almost a week to assemble the two tracks. That said, the molding fidelity was superb and literally anything that could be made into a separate piece was.

This version mounted the 76mm high velocity gun with muzzle brake to reduce the recoil so it wouldn't overwhelm the turret's interior space. The "W" stands or "Wet Stowage" where the magazine was below the deck and surrounded by ethylene glycol to prevent cooking off in case of fire. "HVSS" was the horizontal volute spring suspension that improved the ride. I built the stand so I could display the model with the lid off. Too much good stuff to hide.

The Sherman's high stature was the result of it's first power plant, a continental radial engine positioned vertically. This made them a bigger target, but made for a more roomy vehicle that was more comfortable to the crew. I made the review mirrors stalks out of brass since the plastic just wouldn't cut it.

Every little thing sticking off the tank's body were separated parts.

The treads look great, but they were insane to build. Small caliber barrels were slide molded and didn't require drilling. BTW: That torn star decal is intentional. This particular prototype had that insignia. It's the same on both sides.

The open magazine is visible here. Once the troops got used to this system, they started stacking addition rounds around the turret space defeating the "wet" part of the "Wet Stowage" concept. The aux power unit is the olive drab construction in the lower right of the image near the ventilation manifold.

The underfloor stowage resulted in the turret basket floor being cut in half. The ready-ammo storage is under the drivers seat. Late model Shermans were the most technically advanced tanks in the world at the time. They had all electric drive for traverse and elevation with an auxiliary power unit providing the juice. There was no need to run the main power plant to fight saving fuel. German tanks, especially the Tigers, with their bigger gun, were driven by a drive shaft from the main engine and were much slower to bring on target. The Sherman also had the only gyro stabilized gun another plus. They had the most advanced radio also.

The model's gun is spring loaded and does recoil, although it scrapes the paint off the barrel.

There were almost 50 parts in the transmission alone. Notice that the main generator is hanging on the back of the trans, not in the engine compartment.

The Ford V8 GAA engine was almost a 1,000 cubic inches, and over 500 hp. It was a true gear driven, dual-overhead cam, 4-valve/cylinder engine. It had dual magnetos and spark plugs and dual four-barrel carburetors. Other than electronic ignition and computerization, the engine would be modern today. It was never taxed in Sherman service. It was originally designed as a V-12 aircraft engine to compete with Allison and Rolls, but lost out in the competition. Ford knocked off four cylinders and made one heck of a V8. Ignition tubes from the mags are phos-bronze wire replacing the insubstantial plastic ones.

Like the rest of the model, the engine compartment didn't disappoint. Radiators are cooled by twin fans that are belt driven off of two separate drive shafts from the main engine through a right-angle gear box. There are six fire suppression nozzles in the compartment fed by two big fire bottles in the fighting compartment. They are unseen under the floor panels and I spent time detailing them and then hiding them. The arrows denote spacers I made to close a gap in the induction piping.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread