Post Your Models! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Matt I have a spare canopy for a Mig 3, its similar but not ideal as the back as angled.

What I suggest is shaping some balsa to the same shape as the canopy and getting soft drink bottle plastic. Heat the plastic over the balsa and cool etc

Sorta like vacuum forming without the vacuum affect.

Hi Matt308
Here are a couple of articles about making your own canopies. Making the formers is a lot simpler if you can find one to mould by pressing it into clay or plasticine and filling up the depression with cold moulding plastic or, in small sizes, Araldite etc.
These are not my articles they can be found at Mike's flying scale model pages and I have credited the authors on the title pages.
They work! Unfortunately they are rather large so these are only sample pictures so you need to download the .pdf files.
Jim

Attachments

• can7.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 138
  • can9.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 133
  • gun1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 145
  • gun14.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Moulding Your Own Cockpit Canopies.pdf
    366.7 KB · Views: 126
  • Canopy forming using a sealant gun.pdf
    789.5 KB · Views: 56
Wow, thanks guys. My son is convinced that he will not include a "pilot" and will make the airplane as if it were under maintenance [his idea not mine]. I hope to post some pics, my wife has the little camera loaded up. So hopefully we can get something posted soon. He has the cockpit complete, the engine and cowl, and the wings. While I have been hovering over him, he has been doing all the work... even the razor knife removing the sprues.

Hi Matt308
Glad to hear your getting Junior involved. Why not tell us his name before he gets christened Matt308.5 or something equally naff?

Since he's 8 years old but sounds quite advanced why not let him have a go at these three since they will FLY.

This lot have about an hours flight time between them. Not bad when the maximum is about 7 seconds. Send me, or post, a name for his airline and I will customise them for him.

For the rest of you lot here are the files. You need both files . The ones marked as _i_ are the instructions

Jim

Attachments

• John Travolta's House small.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 136
  • biplane_i_e_a4.pdf
    225.7 KB · Views: 48
  • biplane-or_e_a4.pdf
    378.4 KB · Views: 43
  • passenger-plane-b_e_a4.pdf
    275 KB · Views: 63
  • passenger-plane_i_e_a4.pdf
    166 KB · Views: 38
  • flying-boat-b_e_a4.pdf
    375.1 KB · Views: 36
  • flying-boat_i_e_a4.pdf
    256.4 KB · Views: 44
Great info guys re the canopies!

If you want the original canopy, Matt, I would write to the company.

Revell quite often mess up with their canopies -my Walrus came without, my Spitfire came with a Bf 109G-10 canopy, and my Me 262 and He 177 glazings are unusable - completely scratched, but on the plus side I got a double set of Fw 200 glazings..

Hi Wurger
Sorry to have missed your post but my connection went sick about the same time you did and when I got back on line you had vanished.
Good to hear from you again , Hope everything went OK and glad you got on to page 109. Would have been a hollow number without you.
All the best.
Jim

Hi Jim
It's Ok.I was convinced I missed something and that you needed some help.The break was longer than I wanted but I'm here again.Thank you for these nice words.

Wojtek

Ah ! Ha ! My brand new camera works like a charm. I had to resize them (the original versions were about 3000 x 2500 pix), but here they are in 800 x 600.

Attachments

• Spitfire Mk. IX - 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 116
  • P-51D - The Millie P.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 107
  • P-51B - Poles In The RAF.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 107
  • P-47D - Francis Gabreski.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 110
  • Hurricane Mk. II.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 116
  • Spitfire Mk. IX - Edward Francis John Charles.jpg