Revell 1/32 Spitfire MK1 #4555

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

It seems to be comming along well,but sometimes I get too impatiant and start sanding before the glue has cured underneth.Well you know what happens then. So sand,glue then leave it alone to set overnight.I hope to have this done by tomorrow night so I can re-scribe the panel lines and as far as the rivet go,great idea Meat's but I think I would just make a mess of things,so the rivets are history.Pics on tomorrow update.

Well it's back from primer. What do you think. Did I do her proud so far.That fingerprint is really bugging me. The fingerprint was caused by my exitement and lack of patiants.Picked up too soon.Maybe wet sand and re-paint? Do you think sky or black an white belly?

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 81
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 85
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 80
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
An airbrush is an over-rated luxury that is nice to have, for some jobs, but not a neccessity.
OK, I use one nowadays, and have, off and on, for around 30+ years, but I still use a traditional paint brush for around 50% of my work. The airbrush is handy for large areas of clear coat, or sometimes a one-colour finish, and certainly good for mottle camouflage, but it is certainly not a 'must have as it'll make me a better modeller' tool.
Anyone who can really master brush painting, learns to understand paint and how it works, and will find that, in many cases, a paint brush is just as good as the squirty thing and, in some cases, can be a darned site more convenient. espaecially when it comes to having to mask awkward areas for fear of fine misting over-spray, where this would not be required with a hairy stick.
You're dong fine with what you've got, and an airbrush will not make things quicker. Quite the revrse, infact, because of extra masking, paint preparation, testing, cleaning and so on.
It's been said before, and I make no apologies for repeating the mantra - modelling is not a race!
One of the most important requirements of the hobby, for those who wish to continue to improve and excel, is patience. Rushing or impatience does not improve or hone the skills, it just leads to lower standards, frustration and, ultimately, despair.

Airframes,you are spot on about the airbrush.Ya I thought I would be Picasso with this but after reading your post I now have decided that the brush is as good if not better when you can control the paint(thin as needed,don't try to work the paint too much, that sort of thing) My dad has been building these things for 65 yrs and he has never used an airbrush and his results are great.How does this look? 2nd coat with some fine wet sanding to get rid of airborn shite. PS,don't coment on the tail wheel. It was been a piss me off issue:mad: One more coat should seal the deal.Then I will try to get rid of the paint between the flaps and ailerons. I think the airbrush will be good is when I am painting the whole plane aluminium.(1/32 F-86 Sabre)

Attachments

• sky 003.JPG
    sky 003.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 64
  • sky 002.JPG
    sky 002.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 72
Looking good. However there is still a small area at the tail wheel section of the fuselage unpainted yet.

Wurger,I noticed that too.I will catch that on the next go round. Need to use finer brush.So what do you think? All your posts help me out. Thanks everyone, and hi Woody(I hope thats not what you are sporting all the time):lol:

Last edited:
My problem is I want the paint to have the finish of a brand new Beechcraft,even though I know dam well these planes were painted in a hurry and that they were basically thrown togeter just to get them in the air. My dad says don't try to make the paint to perfect.The smoother the finish means the farther from the true original

Users who are viewing this thread

Back