Revell 1/32 Spitfire MK1 #4555 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Internet? It'll never catch on. It's as daft as those new-fangled flying machines - I mean, who would want to fly in the sky like a bird? Next thing, you'll be telling me people make models of the contraptions!
Heck, I'm just getting over the shock of seeing one of those noisy horseless carriages which seem to have become popular for some reason .....

I just got my new 000 00000 detail brushes along with the external paint for this bird. Tonight I will attempt to correct the instument panel pilot seat as per CR's attached pics.

Hi chaps, have been busy,but here is an update. Now that my daughter has brought my camera back. I had a few fit issues with the fuge and wings to the fuge. 1st the fuge was warped so I glued it in stages starting at the tail and worked forward. Not bad. As the pics will show you can see some problem areas. I filled the gaps with Contacta Pro and sanded. It looks like the gaps are still there ,but they are now flush as you will see (I hope) when I spray it with grey primer.Off to the paint shop.

Attachments

• before paint 001.JPG
    before paint 001.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 78
  • before paint 005.JPG
    before paint 005.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 76
  • before paint 004.JPG
    before paint 004.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 74
  • before paint 003.JPG
    before paint 003.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 74
  • before paint 007.JPG
    before paint 007.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 75
  • before paint 006.JPG
    before paint 006.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 73
  • before paint 002.JPG
    before paint 002.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 76
I just wanted to get some feedback on exterior paint. Should I use Revell 59,68 82 or Hu 90,(102/116/163) 29. I myself am leaning toward the Revell. The picture does not represent the colours too well,but you pros out there know what they really look like. So what shall it be Rev or Hu or a combo of both. What say you

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 69
Well here it is after primer. Not to bad,but not as good as I thought it would be. I needed to sand some more, I can see that all to clear,but the finest sandpaper I have at the moment is 120 alum ozide and was afraid that I might just go a little too far with this grit and really bugger it. 220 would have been a better finishing grit I think. Well even though I am a little disappoiinted in the result,it is certainly better than the P-38. So I figure I must be getting better. I hope the camo paint might hide some of the mistakes.Any advice guys,and was it a mistake to use Contacta Pro glue as filler? I tried using Milliput silver/grey last time and found it was like trying to sand concrete. Is there a filler that is easier to work with ,sand and finish ? Will drywall patch filler work?(Don't laugh)It sands well and is easy to work with.Not to mention it is easy to get a great smooth finish,but will it stick or just fall off? I would also like to ask for some advice on camo painting. I don't have an airbrush so I will be using brushes. Can your please explain the process. I hope I am not asking too much,but if I don't ask I will probably FUBAR this one as well. Thanks guys

Attachments

• after paint 001.JPG
    after paint 001.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 92
  • after paint 002.JPG
    after paint 002.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 84
  • after paint 003.JPG
    after paint 003.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 83
  • after paint 004.JPG
    after paint 004.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 79
  • after paint 005.JPG
    after paint 005.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 84
  • after paint 006.JPG
    after paint 006.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 86
  • after paint 007.JPG
    after paint 007.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 92
For straight out of the tin, I would go with the Humbrol, as they are the closest. You need to use Humbrol Dark Green(Satin) 163, as their 'traditional' Dark Green Matt 30 is far to bright these days, and Humbrol matt 29 Dark Earth. The Humbrol 90 is good enough in this large scale, but if you wish, add a very small spot of yellow and the same of white, which will get it closer.

It's good that you see that your seams need more work. Some people would just say "good enough" and move on - good attitude!

You need to get yourself some wet/dry sandpaper. 120 is way to course and 220 is even pretty rough and should be used with caution. Start with the rougher grades, using water on the paper and then go over the areas with progressively finer grades until you get a finish that's as smooth as the plastic that you started with. That means getting grades up to 1200 or even 2000 grit (I've heard of people using even finer than this bt have never done so myself).

I'm not familiar with Contact Pro but it sounds like contact cement. I'd be afrad something like that would distort the plastic. Get yourself some Squadron putty which any hobby shop that calls itself one should carry. Drywall compound will not work. It will chip and fall off so don't waste your time.

I don't brush paint my finishes but some very nice work can be achieved with brushes. There's a tutorial somewhere on this forum written by Terry but if I can say one thing, it's don't overload the brush and don't overwork the finish.

Go to a beauty supply store, they have sticks used for manicuring fingernails. These are perfect for modeling going down in grit to ones that you can use to polish canopy pieces.

I am not going to let these problems go. The paint just makes it stand out even more. I will not let this defeat me.I am going to sand these spots down until I am satisfied or there is no plane left to sand. CR this is the glue. Contacta has a long syringe type needle and is it does not give you the string you get from the good old Testers.Great for dummies like me.And it does weld.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    57.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 90
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 86
I would also like to ask for some advice on camo painting. I don't have an airbrush so I will be using brushes. Can your please explain the process.

As requested... A few tips firstly. Here you are a couple of diagrams that let you understand the way you should follow working work with a brush. In addition, the rule is that a lightest colour of camo shoukd be applied firstly.

113787.jpg

113788.jpg

113789.jpg

And here you are the easiest way for getting a camo spots for the Spitfire. First of all , paint the undersides with the Sky S-type paint applying it a little bit on sides as well. . But make it sure if there was the variant of a camo used. You should use a black colour for the port half of the wing for Spits from 20.11.1940-22.04.1941. Then mask with strips of masking tape the paint on sides making the "borderline" between undersides and top camo colours. The next step is to mark with a pencil lines for camo spots on top surfaces and sides. Then paint them with a correct colours. The lightest one should go first.

114627.jpg

114628.jpg

114629.jpg

114688.jpg

I am going to wet sand the high spots and make them flush. I just can't let this go by without taking action. Do you think wet sand with 600 grit will do the job?

800-900 or 1000 grit would be better. But the 600 should work as well.

I am sanding as I write,and as CR said filling as needed. I refuse to have any gaps or high spots. I want this part to be upto Airframe,Wurger are CR specs. Here is the finished result,looks good eh. I hope I didn't take the sanding toooooo far.:lol::lol::lol:.

Attachments

• tooth 001.JPG
    tooth 001.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 88
HA HA. This is some before and some almost finished. Must buy 600-1000 sandpaper tomorrow so I can make glass. Need some help with re-scribing panel lines and posably rivits:salute: I know it looks shite now but I will make the Supermarine factory proud. Till tomorrow. Be safe all. BTW GD tail wheel

Attachments

• after (2).JPG
    after (2).JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 78
  • after.JPG
    after.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 77
  • before.JPG
    before.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 74
  • before (2).JPG
    before (2).JPG