Revell 1:48 Mosquto BIV

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Loiner

Senior Airman
Dec 19, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire, UK
I finally got on to my Revell Mosquito BIV, and this is how I got on.

I was pleased with the look of the kit when opening the box, both with the complexity of parts and optional internal detail, and also the quality appearance of the parts, ie with surface finish detail etc. The kit has been advertised as new tooling, and that appears to be the case going on the finishes. The decal sheet looked good too. Below shows the array of parts provided.

P1000337.jpg

P1000336.jpg

The cockpit area was assembled first, which made up the structural heart of the aircraft, and the detail was pleasing and went together well. This portion included the bomb racks, and I rightly or wrongly finished and attached the four 500lb bombs at this stage.

P1000354.jpg

P1000356.jpg

P1000361.jpg

The forward portion of fuselage is separated from the rear, and closes around the assembled and painted cockpit internal assembly. That is were the first problem started; the damned fuselage halves would not fit around the inner assembly ... nowhere near.

P1000338.jpg

So I had to start carving the inner parts down to make the whole assembly slightly narrower, which was frustrating having done a nice paint job on it already. After much reworking the fuselage halves closed up, and the rest of the fuselage and wing assemblies went together fairly easily.

Next I assembled and painted the engines and other 'loose' parts (props, landing gear) and started to put the nacelles together. I went for all cowl panels off as I thought it would be a bit of a waste having the engines provided and not using them, and it would also give some of my RAF men something to occupy them.

The next problem was getting the nacelles to fit to the wings without cracks and gaps showing, and removing the seem along the fuselage centerline all took a fair amount of time, but all came together in the end, as below.

I read a review done in one of the modeling magazines of this kit, and it raised a couple of fairly major errors that needed correcting, one was the length of the undercarriage legs which were a bit short and needed about a 4mm extension, the other was the profile of the spinners which needed slimming down slightly, which I carefully sanded both equally to try to make some improvement, although they're probably still not quite accurate.

P1000399.jpg

Following this the painting and decaling went fairly well without too many problems, panel lines highlighted and with overall finished with a satin varnish. I used my newly acquired micro set and micro sol with the decals, which definitely helped but didn't quite have the magical effect that I'd been told about with the decals sinking sharply into every recess and corner.

I made a new display base of concrete apron with a grass edge. I went to a display the day which was on a WWII bomber base so I spent a bit of time looking at and measuring up the concrete panels that the apron is made up of, as below.

P1000496.jpg

And here we have the finished article, with my previously completed RAF ground crew and accessories:

P1000498.jpg

P1000502.jpg

P1000504.jpg

P1000506.jpg

P1000510.jpg

P1000507.jpg

Last edited:
That just looks awesome!8)
Truly nice work mate,love the base.
Cheers,
Tony.

Thanks all. The kit came out well in the end, but it really was a battle to get there. The amount that was badly fitting and needing extra work was beyond any I've done before, then there were the errors raised in the March issue of Model Airplane International to correct. But overall I'm pleased with the result, as someone said at my club branch 'it looks like a Mosquito', so that'll do for me.

Thanks, I gave it a bit more time at the weekend detailing the engines up a bit with some pipework and equipment (and fixed the loose wheels that kept dropping off). it could end up one of those things that never ends, but I'll have to say 'it's finished' at some point soon and move on to the next model project that is impatiently waiting in the wings.

That is a nice looking build. I too have just started the Revell Mossie and was wodering where you got the figures from ?

Graham

Hi Graham,
The figures are from the ICM RAF round crew set, which I have to say are excellantly sculpted.

icm48081_1.jpg

The Austn Tilly is from the Tamiya 1:48 range, the bicycle from a seperate Eduard crew set, and the base is compact card, scored and finished with sprays, pastels and model rail grass sheet.

Anyway, good luck with the kit.

Last edited:
A couple more of the Mossie in my display case. The last with the 1:48th Spit IX finished previously and shown in the 'Finished Models' thread. My display cabinet is starting fill nicely now, still more spaces to go yet though.

Attachments

• Mossie in Cupboard 2.JPG
    Mossie in Cupboard 2.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Mossie and Spit in cupboard.JPG
    Mossie and Spit in cupboard.JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Mossie in cupboard 1.JPG
    Mossie in cupboard 1.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 163
Real nice work.

I had a lot of fun building the Monogram version back in the 70s.

I believe it was downed on a mission in 1973, flak (M80 firecracker) was terrible that day and all was lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back