RIP Uncle Joe

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
Joseph Colon Sr. was born in San Juan Puerto Rico in 1924. His father, a US Army enlisted man moved his family to New York after being discharged from the Army. "Joe" grew up in the Bronx and was an avid baseball fan and loved the NY Giants. When WW2 started Joe found himself in the AAF and eventually found himself in pilot training. He soon realized he was not cut out to be a pilot so trained to be a B-24 flight engineer and then eventually was sent to bombardier school. It was there where he was the only survivor of a B-24 crash that left him in a coma for a number of months and paralyzed from the neck down. With spirit and determination he amazed all his doctors and not only taught himself to walk again, but went from a 100% disabled veteran to a 10% DAV. After the war he was married and had two sons. Joe was an extremely handsome man and managed to do some acting and extra work after settling in California. The tradition continues as his son Gary is an accomplished stage and short film actor.

Joe was a classic jokester and was always laughing or playing tricks on his family and friends. His cheerful and positive demeanor rubbed off on everyone he met.

I just happen to be working in California this week when I got this news. I'm on my way to visit with my Aunt and cousin and to pay my last respects. Uncle Joe was always proud of his time on the B-24 despite his terrible accident. he will be missed by all who knew and loved him.

RIP Uncle Joe!

Attachments

• UNCLE JOE.jpg
    UNCLE JOE.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 213
  • 172759675ayiCFp_ph.jpg
    172759675ayiCFp_ph.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 193
  • 165770468XLKjiX_ph.jpg
    165770468XLKjiX_ph.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:
"I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith:
Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but onto all of them also that love his appearing."

I quoted this verses at my grandfathers funeral last year (he passed away at age of 91) and these words also can be rightfully applied to this man here. May he rest in peace.

:salute:

With all, great man, great life...may he rest in peace. And to you and your family, Joe, my condolences - you're all in my prayers.

:salute:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back