Sea Gladiator, N2272/G No 804 Sqn Fleet Air Arm, Hatston Orkney (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks Fellas!

Today I painted the cowling the burnt copperish color. I used Floquil Copper and mixed Testors' Rubber in about a 60/40 Ratio. I did not mix it all the way as I wanted a color variation.
Cowling.JPG

I went to attach the upper wing to the lower and their was so much tension both of the front braces actually bent.
Wing Brace.JPG

I'd read in another review this happened but my test fitting did not seem to indicate it was to this degree. I tried making ones out of flat tooth picks but halfway through I thought about using a large paper clip - which I scrounged from my briefcase and compared them - the size was perfect.
Paper Clip.JPG

Using wire snips I cut a couple to size, painted and installed them. I was then able to install the rear ones with no problems.
Replacement.JPG

In Place.JPG

As commented before, I've switched gears about the rigging. I bought a small spool of 5x Fly Fishing Tippet which has a diameter of .0058" (or .147 mm).
Fly Line.JPG

Using a size 80 drill bit, I drilled holes all the way through the bottom wing. My plan is to run an end through the bottom wing and glue the line to the upper wing. Once dry I'll apply weight to the other end and put a drop of thin CA into the hole from the bottom. Once dry I'll snip off the remaining line, sand and repaint the area as well as paint the line itself.
Plan B.JPG

Great job on the exhaust collector, looks the biz. Nice work on the bracing struts too, and thanks for the tip-off - I have this kit in my stash for the 56 Sqn build.

Thanks fellas and fellowette.

Finished the rigging, more touch up work and drilled out the exhaust pipes which is a first for me but far easier then I was expecting - wished I had drilled out the gun barrels now. Sprayed the gloss coat on and preparation for additional weathering and decals.

Attachments

• Rigging.JPG
    Rigging.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 115
  • Exhaust.JPG
    Exhaust.JPG
    15.6 KB · Views: 97
That looks superb David. How did you find fitting the top wing? It's years since I did a bi-plane, so I'm wondering whether it's worth making a jig to support the wing and align it, when I do mine.

Thanks guys!

That looks superb David. How did you find fitting the top wing? It's years since I did a bi-plane, so I'm wondering whether it's worth making a jig to support the wing and align it, when I do mine.

With the exception of the issue of the inner braces which I had to replace, it was not bad at all. I attached the outer braces to the bottom wing first, and then attached the two wings together. After it dried I attached the inner braces.

David, I know this is a bit late for this splendid model, but I've just been reading about a revolutionary thread that is being hailed as the answerer to a modellers prayer, it's called, 'E Z Thread' and is reputed to stretch 700% of its own length and return to normal. I've found it on eBay and they sell sample lengths so I'm going to give it a try.

BTW it comes in white, green, charcoal and rust.

I've heard of this stuff, and seen adverts for it. The problem is, you don't want stretch in rigging, antenna wires etc. You need to have dimensional stability in order to ensure the correct, or desired, tension is maintained.

I figure if used and pulled to get a taught but not stretched tension it would be just the thing one needs to give good tension without ending up with some sagging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back