Show Us Your Artwork!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

That spider is scary!
back to the car sketch - I'm thinking maybe a combination of No.1 and No.3. The lamp pot is almost working, but needs to be slightly closer, but not as close the fence is. A bit difficult to explain, so I'll try to get a rough sketch done in the next day or so, and e-mail it to you, to show how I visualise it.

To my eye, the issue with the lamp post is that the perspective doesn't work. The view on the car is downwards from slightly above head height so any view of a lamp post near or far, if it's on the same flat road surface as the car, would not have the top of the post visible. I'd suggest the fence detail but, as Erich says, very subdued. Great work either way!

Hey , thanks guys, really appreciate the comments!

Yep, the lamp post is a tricky bugger for me - too close and it's too tall and obvious, unless I lose the top and fade out the post. Further away and you get one extremely wide road which only exist in larger cities.
IMO the 2nd pic is the best lamp post version, not too close but not too far, a more 'realistic' feeling to my tastes. The bollard idea works in that it's low and close, yet there is breathing space between it and the car.

Main problem here though is in the planning.
The NOHAB train for example was planned with a background from the start, it's simple form not being enough to carry it alone.
The Lanchester I thought had enough character to carry itself (like the Ford), my biggest mistake I think not drawing her larger, eliminating some of the excessive whiteness around it. I've since spent almost as much time trying to sort out a bloody background for it as I did on the car itself.

Btw, Ivett surprised me with some decent (acid free) sketch paper and the fix spray Terry mentioned in the weekend! (thanks for the heads up!) The Lanchester is the last sketch on this current pad thank God.
(Lesson learnt...yet again..: When it comes to materials, you get what you pay for. Do not sacrifice quality for savings...)

And Terry, would indeed appreciate that idea sketch, thanks mate! Itching to get this finished and move on...

Last edited:
Some pics...

1. Presents from Ivett :D
2. Lanchester at present. Shading, extra cobbles added at rear wheel.
3. Lanchester idea - A4 size format heightens effect of car, repositioned signature adds a little balance. Possibly no extra details required in this format(?)
4. Idea sketch 1 for next project - 1961 Ferrari 250GT SWB California Spyder.
5. Idea sketch 2 - both Ivett and myself prefer this angle

A penny for your thoughts please re the Lanchester cropping idea (need not be cropped as much as here, this is simply to test the idea), or opinions on next steps to be taken if kept full size.
Also what yas think of the Ferrari ideas...

Cheers!
Evan

STA53652.JPG

STA53653.JPG

STA53654.JPG

STA53655.JPG

STA53656.JPG

Last edited:
Good stuff Evan, and I think full on the Lanchester, with signature lower. Sorry I haven't got the sketch done yet - hands too stiff to hold the darned pencil at the moment !

I simply love it...

....Full size for me, the cropped cramps it a little I reckon!

both angles are potentially good....run with what you feel Evan go....2

Cheers Wayne!

Full size it is then! (Ivett also said it looks more realistic with space around it)

Cheers too re the Ferrari ideas, have started on version 2. Pic up later when I've made some more progress.

First pic of the Ferrari - not much to look at yet, but so it begins...

The Lanchester sketch heads to Ireland in 3 weeks, so still have some time to give thought to that background. Ideas still welcomed in between please.

STA53663.JPG

Wow, that pic brings back memories!

When my father had a hobby shop, he hand painted something like that on the building. This is what it looked like 40 years later but you can see the resemblance.

18968_1233599253355_380194_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back