SOME VERY BAD NEWS

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

FLYBOYJ

"THE GREAT GAZOO"
Apr 9, 2005
Colorado, USA
If those of you in So Cal could keep me informed. With great saddness and shock I have to annouce that my father in law who was my best friend, mentor and flight instructor was killed today in an L-29 crash north of LA. Any news you guys hear, please feel free to post here or E mail me. Many thanks!!!

Joe

Very sad to hear that FLYBOYJ :(

My condolences. I'll pray for you and your family.

I hope you're with your family, can't do without them in times likes these.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very sorry to hear of your loss.

Thanks guys - we're trying to hold the family together. Again you guys in SoCal, any news you might hear plaes let us know.

Two people were killed Saturday afternoon when an old-style military plane that had flown over a local parade earlier in the day crashed in the Tehachapi area, igniting a grass fire that authorities said was quickly contained.

One of the victims was the manager of the Tehachapi Municipal Airport, David Zweigle, age 42, said his sister-in-law, Kristi Zweigle.

The other victim, the pilot, also worked at the airport and was experienced in flying, said Mike Nixon, owner of a Tehachapi business that restores vintage aircraft.

Authorities did not release names of the people confirmed killed.

The plane was believed to be a Czechoslovakian-built L-29 Delfin that took part in local festivities earlier in the day.

The aircraft came to a stop in the 20000 block of Old Town Road , said Lt. J.R. Rodriguez of the county sheriff's department.

"It looks like it exploded upon impact," he said.

Nixon said the plane hit ground in a field about 1,000 feet from the road, then bounced or skidded onto asphalt.

The crash was first reported at around 1:30 p.m..

Firefighters were able to protect four or five nearby structures that had been threatened by the two- or three-acre grass fire, said Sean Collins, a public information officer with the county fire department.

Tehachapi professional photographer Nick Smirnoff said the L-29 was among three that flew in a city-organized holiday parade Saturday.

As in years past, he said, the planes flew over a parade route in celebration of the Fourth of July.

Officials from the National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration were investigating the crash.

Sorry Joe about your loss I've read much about your father in law in the years I have been here and and feel for you and also for aviation in general as he was an aviator par excellence

Users who are viewing this thread

Back