Tex Hill dies at 92 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
It's a sad day in the annals of aviation history.:(

TERRELL HILLS, Texas — David Lee "Tex" Hill, a World War II fighter pilot who was the youngest brigadier general in the history of the Texas Air National Guard, died Thursday. He was 92.

Hill died at his home in Terrell Hills near San Antonio, longtime friend Tibaut Bowman said.

"He was still alert and fabulous just up until when he died," said Bowman, who described himself as one of Hill's "hunting buddies, flying buddies and drinking buddies."

Hill graduated as a naval aviator in 1939, and in 1941, he joined the Flying Tigers, an American volunteer group based in China during World War II. He shot down 18 1/4 enemy aircraft during the war, Bowman said. The "quarter" came when four planes were involved in shooting down an enemy plane and each pilot was credited with one-fourth of the downing.

Hill emerged from the war a national hero. John Wayne based his character on him in the 1942 film, "The Flying Tigers," and Hill earned numerous medals, among them the Silver Star, Legion of Merit, four Distinguished Flying Crosses, the British Flying Cross and six Chinese combat decorations.

"He's appreciated by so many for the things that he did, and he's appreciated by me for being such a wonderful father," his daughter Shannon Schaupp said. "If I could put one label, I would say integrity."

Hill was awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross in 2002, 59 years after a dogfight in enemy-occupied territory in China. A three-member Air Force panel said Hill had been denied the medal because of a personality conflict between two Army generals and his boss, Brig. Gen. Claire Lee Chennault, who recommended Hill for the award.

"I can say this probably on behalf of fifty people, except for my own dad who is my personal hero, 'Tex' Hill was the biggest hero I ever had," Bowman said. "Unquestioning integrity and loyalty, purpose, determination, compassion."

A longtime San Antonian, Hill logged 3,500 hours, flew 150 combat sorties and later tested the first U.S. jets before joining the Air National Guard.

"Tex Hill was a genuine American hero and a Texan of the highest caliber," Gov. Rick Perry said. "Whether he was flying from the decks of a carrier as a naval aviator, fighting with the legendary Flying Tigers of the American Volunteer Group, winning a Distinguished Service Cross, or commanding the first jet unit in the Army Air Forces, he always led from the front."

Hill, who was born in Korea on July 13, 1915, was inducted into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in Dayton, Ohio, in 2006.

He is expected to be buried next week at Fort Sam Houston in San Antonio, Bowman said.

In addition to his daughter Shannon Schaupp, Hill is survived by his wife, Mazie Sale Hill; daughter Lola Skinner; seven grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.

So long, Tex. Blues skies and tail winds. :salute:

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. :salute:

I just bought of a replica of his P-40.

(Admin, if the logo in the pic violates anything, please remove the image)

Attachments

• badcattoys_1972_18296283.jpg
    badcattoys_1972_18296283.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 167
I was looking forward to meeting Tex at the Gathering of Mustangs Legends a couple weeks ago, but he didn't make it due to illness.
Rest in Peace Mr. Hill.

Very sad news indead, I had the pleasure of listening to him speak for the last couple of years at the EAA. He will truely be missed.

:salute:

This is sad news indeed. Spoke with him on the phone earlier in the summer. Wanted to know his view on the role played by pre-war US Navy gunnery training on the success of the AVG. Gracious as ever, Tex described how the "ring" in AVG's first reflector gun sights were etched by hand ...

Felt a little corny then, but I am glad I said it to him ... a simple "thank you" for what he did for my people. Those of you who know a WWII veteran, make it a point to say "thank you" while they are still here to appreciate it.

窮天下力,复此金湯
苦哉將士、來者勿忘

Forget not the Warrior, all ye who pass by ...

We certainly will not forget you Tex.

You came and risked your life to help us when we were in desperate straits. All you needed to know was that we were the victims, brutalized by invaders - we, who were strangers of a different culture and language ...

We will remember and we will tell our children.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back