The Abandoned Post Office Railway Under London

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been there myself, I work for the railways and a friend of mine who works in Signalling Track gave me access down there one night, he used to maintain the PO railway infrastructure.

Quite interesting.

Absolutely amazing. Love stuff like this. Curious how they just shut everything down but still provide electric with cameras and motion detectors. Wouldn't it be better to just strip everything and concrete it all up

Probably like everything else in life, as soon as you throw it away you need it and wonder where it went. Downtown Chicago is also riddled with railway tunnels between most of the major buildings. Small trains used to deliver coal to the heating plants of the buildings that way.
Seattle, WA has an entire city underground. the original 1890 city had major plumbing problems, solution: raise the entire city 32ft and build on top of the old city

...And Pécs (Hungary) where I lived till last may is built on the roman era township. What are now peoples basements were roman houses...

Great find Sys!

Not to go off topic...oh hell. That is something that has always made me wonder (and I'm suer there is a scientific reason) but.....

It would seem to me that with many historical sites and, well just about everything being buried over time, how are we losing beaches and islands? When I pile dirt ontop of another pile, the mass increases and spreads not disappears.....yes?

OK Najco, this is all your fault: Beach erosion occurs because the beach is higher than the bottom of the lake/sea/ocean. the sediment is washed down (via gravity) to the lowest point, the bottom. which is why lakes/reservoirs fill in with time and need to be dredged, same with rivers. the same is true with islands unless they are volcanic (Hawaii) in which case lava flows make an ever increasing hill like your dirt pile.
Secondly lake, river, ocean levels are not static. they increase and decrease with time. Thus what once was dry land becomes ocean bottom or vice versus. Here in the Midwest flood control dams and the lakes they create can and do rise 40ft in a season depending on rainfall. One of my favorites Bull Shoals in Arkansas just went up 9ft in a single day

Absolutely amazing. Love stuff like this. Curious how they just shut everything down but still provide electric with cameras and motion detectors. Wouldn't it be better to just strip everything and concrete it all up

My guess would be that to completely fill it in would require too much rock/concrete (expensive!). To wall it up and forget about it would be inviting the shady elements of society to pop a hole or two in a wall and utilize the free space. Leaving them open may provide some sort of storm-flood relief, natural disaster shelter, something like that....plus, to keep a trickle of power going in for security cameras/lights provides an element of safety for those idiots who would love to explore such places (ahem....myself included) as well as a level of security from those aforementioned "shady elements". Just my guess, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back