The best truck of WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Is there any proof that the GMC is more reliable Adler ? No. So why then start bashing at me ? I'm not the one claiming one truck to be better than the other, remember!

If you have an axe to grind with me then tell me.

I am not bashing you Soren. Just because someone asks your for fact and not opinion or speculation, does not mean they are bashing you.

You are claiming that one truck is better. You are saying that the Opel is more reliable. I will be honest, I do not know which one is more reliable.

I do however want you to show me how it is more reliable. In order to do that, you need to show documented proof that compares the two trucks. Why, because you are the one that is claiming that one is better than the other. I am not the one trying to prove anything.

So again I ask you this? Is it fact that the Opel is better, or is it just your opinion, or are you speculating? Simple question...

Again, I am not the one in here saying one truck is better than the other, so why ask such a question Adler ? Why is it you love taking sides against me ?

No no no, I have NEVER said that the Opel is more reliable EVER. I have compared it to the GMC, that is all.

So again, I am not the one saying one is better than the other, so I have nothing to prove here. Can't say the same about pbfoot.

Again, I am not the one in here saying one truck is better than the other, so why ask such a question Adler ? Why is it you love taking sides against me ?

Again Soren, I am not picking on you. All I am asking you, is how you can conclude that that Opel was 100% better than the GMC in an environment like Russia. The GMC was used in Alaska, where it worked just fine.

I am not saying that one is better than the other. I have already stated that I do not know (nor do I really care which is better), I just want to know where are the conclusive facts. Without them, this is all just speculation or opinion (not just by you...). True or false?

It truly is speculation Adler, I agree. That is why I have NEVER claimed the Opel Blitz to be better than the GMC anywhere, but I have also made it clear that there is no proof that the GMC is better than the Opel Blitz anywhere. That is all.

Now I asked pbfoot to supply proof that the GMC was better than the Opel Blitz at freezing temperatures, to which he responded:
"to paraphrase Mr Rogers "Can you say Alaska Highway?""

So he obviously seems to say that the GMC is better than the Opel Blitz. He however felt the need to then send me a PM calling me a "Pinhead" and claiming he never said one was better than the other.

Now if you felt the need to PM me that message because you were provoked by me saying: "Can't say the same about pbfoot" , then remember pbfoot that you started by saying: "God I've never seen any one know so little about so much "

Soren, this belongs in a thread for "most coldest winters" ....

But the north central part of North America hits the -30/-40F range every winter, and thats exclusive of wind chill, which can bring the temp down to the -60/-70 range.

The Canadian provinces get a tad cooler than the US states, (exclusive of Alaska) and I see they hit the -40F/-50F range on occasion.

That part of North America has a contiental climate, and as expected, has cold brutal winters. Just like Siberia. In fact, the cold polar airmasses that orgionate in Siberia migrate over to North America and give us blasts of cold arctic air. And if theres a good wind associated with it, the folks in the midwest call it an "Alberta Clipper".

Thats your meteorology lesson for the day.

BTW, the US auto and truck makers produce their vehicals to work in that weather with reliability. Its just a fact of life.

BTW, how did your "Blitz" do in the jungles and mud of the Solomons and New Guuinea? How did it handle the salt and coral dust of the atolls of the Pacific?

OK I'm sorry I slandered the pinhead but I haven't even mentioned GMC in this thread ,alls I said was weather in eastern europe and asia was no different then weather in places with similar latitudes . So i suggest that Soren RTFQ

Syscom,

There is still no proof what'so'ever provided that the GMC is better in those climates than the Opel Blitz. Also why would it be ?

And forget about the "The US built trucks to work in those environments" explanation, cause so did the Germans. The German car industry was world renowned and built cars trucks for every theater. You don't think that the Saharan desert was abit harder on a trucks' engine than the humid Jungles ?

Come on syscom, use your logic and sense of realism here.

Everyone discovered that the jungles of the SW Pacific were a unique envoirnment that few were prepared for. The constant humdity and rain, the mold, mildew, and other things just wore machinery out. The desert is the desert. The jungles are jungles.

The GMC and Studebaker 6x6's worked fine although their life span was considerably shorter than planned due to the brutal conditions. In fact, the nicest thing about them were their ability to be used with minimal logistical support. And thats important when youre 30 days away from any type of supply depot.

No doubt Syscom, but the same can be said about the Opel Blitz, the Germans praised it for its performance in all theaters, from the desert landscape of the Sahara to the extreme climates of Russia. That's the prime reason it remained their prime truck throughout the war.

So the point here is that we can't really say one was better than the other.

But we know the US trucks operated in those climes, and the opels didnt.

Ones fact, the others comjecture.

What ? Opels didn't operate in Jungles ? You seem to be missing out on the fact that a lot of Opels were exported.

We do know that much of the transport of the Wehrmacht, I have heard more than half, was horses. They work pretty well in all sorts of weather, if they are fed, watered and rested. I read somewhere that 2.7M horses were used by the German Army in WW2.

Users who are viewing this thread