The P-108/B-17/Lancaster Thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

and the aimens (not sure if that's the right one) raid by the mossies, that was one hell of a feat to pull off................

The Amiens Prison Raid (Operation Jericho) was a daring raid, and was featured in one of the shows. I also taped that one. It was a great feat, and achieved its main objective which was to allow enough partisans to escape to let the communication and spy network of the French Resistance be reestablished.

Didn't that raid end up killing several of the prisoners though?

I think that the Mosquito raid on the Gestapo headquarters in Holland was equally impressive.

And I think other planes could have pulled it off, the A-26 for example.

I don't have that book with be, but from what I've read there were fairly heavy losses among the prisoners. Why couldn't the A-26 have done it? It had comparable performance and was very effective as a low-altitude raider.

I think the A-26 was sharp looking, and with all of those guns sticking outta the nose you knew it meant business.

Operation Jericho was to mainly free 10 members of the French resistance that were set for execution the day after. With that they were wanting to rescue another 280 members of the Free French, political prisoners and general people apathetic towards the Germans. Of the total 290 set to be rescued 128 fully escaped and re-established the spy network (the main aim of the Operation). 9 of the main 10 escaped.
Most of the dead were shot by the Germans, or recaptured on their way out. The French in the prison always said though, 'we'd rather die under a RAF bomb than by a German bullet'.

The operation was a complete success, with severe losses to the German guard, and serious moral booster for the French and British, while diminishing the Germans moral in and around the Amiens prison.

I appreciate the info. I had just hear that several of the prisoners had died because of the attack and assumed that was from RAF bombs. I still prefer the raid the Mossie made of the Gestapo headquarters in Holland.

i wouldn't have thought it'd be from the bombs, if i remeber correctly the bombs were aimed into the guard house??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back