Trumpeter 1/24 BF109g-2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Looking good so far, but agree about the angle of the instrument panel. I think those spots on the trim wheels are maybe just moulding tabs - they're often found on delicate, circular mouldings, as a sort of 'mini sprue', and are not part of the kit, and should be removed.

Well, I have been away for a bit,but now I am back. Got all my airbrush stuff and have been building another 1/32 Hase f6f in the meantime so I can practice painting it solid Deep sea blue before attempting paint and camo on the 109. Will post some picks of the 2 tonight when I get home

Well, here we go. I have my spray booth completed and have practiced spraying this f4f. I had the pressure too high at 1st about 25 psi.,so the paint was basically drying before it hit the model and resulted in a dusty texture. I played around with it and found that 15psi is right and thinning the MM enamel 50/50 L Thinner
is the right mix,so the second coat went down rather well,but the dusty texture remained. I really did not want to destroy this plane. It had to take one for the team. Once I tidy up my 109 I will 1st spray the prop,then move on to the fuse. After that I will practice spraying the camo on the clear fuse that came with this kit. I am not prepared to destroy this one as well,due to the price of 1/24. When the f4f is done I think it will look good. Now that I have the basic mix ratio for MM enamel I must figure out the mix for Humbrol. I have all the MM RLM colours for this one 76,75,74,70 and 02. It is a lot of pictures, but I wanted to show you what I am now working with. Any suggestions or welcome

Attachments

• Picture 376.jpg
    Picture 376.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 133
  • Picture 381.jpg
    Picture 381.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 382.jpg
    Picture 382.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 136
  • Picture 385.jpg
    Picture 385.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 386.jpg
    Picture 386.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 129
  • Picture 380.jpg
    Picture 380.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 136
  • Picture 379.jpg
    Picture 379.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 125
  • Picture 387.jpg
    Picture 387.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 123
  • Picture 388.jpg
    Picture 388.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 105
  • Picture 389.jpg
    Picture 389.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 390.jpg
    Picture 390.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 130
  • Picture 391.jpg
    Picture 391.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture 392.jpg
    Picture 392.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 107
  • Picture 393.jpg
    Picture 393.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 124
  • Picture 394.jpg
    Picture 394.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Picture 397.jpg
    Picture 397.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 119
  • Picture 383.jpg
    Picture 383.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 115
Good stuff so far. The thinning ratio for Humbrol should start at about the same as the MM paints - 50/50. But, depending on pressure, distance and the actual colour, it can go to 40/60, paint/thinner, or even weaker. Better to spray two or more thin coats, than one heavy coat.

Rule of thumb is to always try to paint the lighter colours first.
In this instance, being RLM 76 on the undersides, I'd tend to spray the whole model in this colour - the first coat will also act as a primer for the other colours, and will show up any areas which may need extra attention, such as joints and seams, which can then be re-sanded when the paint is dry. Then apply a second coat, let dry thoroughly and, if satisfied, move on to the next lightest colour, repeating this, and so on.

I am most impressed with your efforts so far, Javlin. Especially liking the office.... I'm currently building a 1/72 scale Fine Molds version of the same aircraft. Definitely going to school on yours, sir!

Shipping and handling are included, unfortunately there will be a 20 dollar administration and processing fee:lol: In the event that the funds are NSF I will advise my wife to pay you a visit and break your thumbs.

I am really getting the hang of this airbrush. Actually it is quite an easy tool to us,the problem is the mix ratios. Should have this figured out very soon. BTW The airbrush I got is a Veda 180. I am no expert,but I did research these before I bought it and from most of the reviews I have seem You do not have to buy a Badger or any of the other so called top drawer brushes anymore

Users who are viewing this thread

Back