Trumpeter FW190 D-9 Red 1

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hello Everyone

I hope you guys are all having a nice weekend. I've just begun a new project. I'm using the 1/24 scale Trumpeter FW190 D-9 as the base for my new Dora. I'm going to model it after Oblt. Hans Dortenmann's Red 1 from 12./JG54. The work number is 210003. I believe its one of the earliest D-9's to make it all the way till May 1945. It has a very interesting color pattern and a very interesting history. I'm using Jerry Crandall's incredible books to detail the plane as best I can. My hope is to not go completely bonkers with the Super Detailing, as I will never finish the project. I'm a Restoration Technician for a Museum here in Birmingham, so my passion will lie in the mechanicales. My focus right now is with the Jumo 213A. Its a very interesting engine. I've done some internet searches for pictures and any technical information that I can find. I don't think I'm going to try and recreate every detail of the engine, but try and change the major bits to something that looks more like the original. Any ideas or help that you guys can offer would be awesome. The supplied engine is pretty good I would say, but could use some correcting as well as some new details added. The right side of the engine looks great with the supercharger detail. I also really like the exhaust manifolds, even thought they may not be exactly the correct shape. My plan right now is to add and correct some of the coolant lines, which as you can see in the following pictures. The supplied coolant pipes that come in the kit are completely wrong, going this way and that. I have no idea what the designers were thinking when the drew up these parts! So I'll leave those out and add some new details. I'm really looking forward to enjoying this new kit! If you guys have Jerry Crandall's book, which is Volume One, you can see the Dora starting on page 20. I would highly recommend this book, and I plan on buying Volume Two as well. I found a few copies on Ebay and Amazon carries both books as well. Its worth every cent! So here are a few pictures for you guys to take a look at. Still lots of details to add!

51813Jumo213LeftSideImage1800_zpsc5571093.jpg

Here is a few shots of the right side of the engine which has the high detail supercharger.

51813Jumo213RightSideImage1800_zps9f935776.jpg

Here is a close-up of the supercharger.

51813Jumo213SuperchargerImage1800_zps82d6a111.jpg

And a larger image of the right side of the Jumo 213A.

51813Jumo213RightSideRedwoodBase1000_zpsa719b360.jpg

I should have the exhaust manifolds on this evening, so some new pictures should be up by tomorrow.

Take care!

Hey thanks for all the kind words guys! Makes a fella feel pretty welcome. I've had my eye on this model for a long time now so I'm really happy to get started.

So last night after my post I went back to work on the Jumo. The exhaust manifolds are now in place which really added some nice details to the look of the engine. In the pictures above, you can see the two aluminum tubes (aluminum welding wire) that are running forward. I have these connected to the long water jacket supply manifolds that I believe feed coolant to the twelve cylinders. They are two major part assemblies that are included in the kit that I thought are interesting, so I've added some detail in these areas. They are on tree "D" in the kit, parts 36 and 37 doubled. So four pieces. These are coolant storage tanks I believe. In looking at pictures of the engines from Jerry's book, as well as other great pictures of the Jumo 213 online, these parts really jump out. I think they were raw unpainted aluminum tanks with two large clamps holding them in place. So last night I removed the right coolant pipe, changed its bend profile, and connected it to the right coolant tank. I also touched up a few things with the airbrush. I'll post up a few new pictures this evening of the changes. I think the engine is really taking on a nice detailed look! I'm thinking my next focus is going to be on the engine mounts. The kit supplied mounts are not too bad, but for some reason the designers decided to add holes that pass through the mounts. I haven't found any historical photos that backup this design. I guess they thought it would look better that way! Who knows.. So I'm going to block up these holes, and try and make the mounts a little more realistic, short of making all new mounts which I've not ruled out just yet. I've read these parts were cast magnesium which I thought was very interesting. Probably because of their size, the German engineers wanted to save some weight. That being said, I need to see if I have any Testors Model Master Metalizer in Magnesium on hand. Not sure if I do.. My plan right now is to back up the holes with thin aluminum or brass sheet, then fill in the corners of the holes with ca to simulate a bevel or chamfer around the hole. The supercharger is really a nice detail, so I'm going to add the oil supply lines to it as well. Plenty to do tonight! Looking forward to it!

Denis

Hey Guys

Had a chance to work on the Jumo this evening. In these pictures you can see that I've added the exhaust manifolds, connected the aluminum coolant pipe to the right coolant tank, and added a cross-over line to the coolant tank on the left side of the engine. I ran the new coolant pipe on the right side up and behind the supercharger housing. I'm really not sure how the other end terminates so that looked as good of a place as any! I airbrushed some flat white to the tips of the exhaust to simulate their super hot condition they are subjected to. When I was working on real aircraft, we ran 100/130 AV low lead fuel which left a greyish white residue to the tips of the exhaust. So I added that for interest. I understand the German fuel at the time was pretty crappy (100 octane or less most times..). The small cross-over line that's routed close to the front of the engine is .025 stainless safety wire that was hiding in my toolbox. Since its stainless wire it bends nice and stays straight and I think it looks pretty good. I followed all this up with a little dry brush work to pull out some of the other engine case and fastener details. The crankshaft cover on top of the engine is so-so as it comes from Trumpeter. I wish the nut detail was better. Its going to be pretty will hidden under the cowl anyway so no biggie I suppose. Overall at this point I'm liking the way the engine is shaping up.

Also I spent a little time on Ebay where I bought Jerry Crandall's second volume for a little less than $90.00, and I also found some aftermarket MG131 machine guns. They look really nice! I hope they look as good in person as they do on the Ebay listing. I'll post up a picture for you guys to take a look at. My plan is to have my Dora displayed with the engine cowlings open and up, and have the gun cowl off, but sitting close to my bird. Jerry goes into great detail in the first volume of his book regarding to the gun cowl design. Its a true jewel of a book. Its expensive as is the second volume, but considering the amount of work that went into writing them, I figure its a deal. So here are a few pictures for you guys.

Jumo213AImage11000_zpscc879311.jpg

Jumo213AImage21000_zps130058d8.jpg

Jumo213AImage31000_zps4e5850ab.jpg

The picture above has the right coolant tank in sharp focus so you guys can see the added detail to this part.

Here are the MG131's that I found and ordered today.

MasterMG131Image1_zps12fdbfb4.jpg

MasterMG131Image2_zps59a05158.jpg

Hope you guys like the images. Plan on getting some work done on the left side tomorrow, as well as getting down to the business of the magnesium engine mounts. Should be fun stuff!

Take care. Hope you guys have a great week!

Denis

Oh... I almost forgot..

Here is a awesome black and white photo that I found that shows the right side of a Dora with the engine cowl removed. It really shows the complexity of the elements around the coolant tank. The coolant line that is connected to the lower rear of the tank is the same line that I modeled on my engine. I haven't found any photos that show where this pipe goes from the tank, but my guess is into a waterpump somewhere! This is just a guess though. I believe the left coolant line goes straight into the radiator, but I'm still not sure on that detail. Any of you guys have any ideas? Here is the picture:

51913Jumo213BlackandWhiteImage1000_zpsfcb3c408.jpg

Ok then!

Thanks again Fellas

You guys are awesome. So made a trip this afternoon to the local hobby shop. Here in Birmingham about the only place to go is Homewood Toy and Hobby. Its kind of a drive and the traffic on the way home always blows, but we made it home with a fresh supply of Testors Model Master Magnesium Metalizer paint for the airbrush and a new bottle of RLM66. So thats good. I also bought a sheet of .015 thick styrene, thinking I'm going to use this to put behind the engine mounts to plug up the holes that are incorrectly designed into the stock parts. We'll see how that mod goes. I'm thinking that I might display this bird with the complete cowl off the airframe, so one can see the engine detail in all its glory. If for no other reason than I like to look at it! And with the gun cowl off too. Andy has a Dora build group going on that he kindly invited me into so I'm going to jump over there and post up the specifications of my bird. The link to his group build is up a bit on the page. Will try and post up some new pictures tomorrow. Hope you guys have a great evening. Oh.. did I mention I'm taking off from work on Monday? Wooo Hoooooo!! More build time!!

Take care

Denis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back