Typhoon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good point I didnt realize that was the very same as mine....
I would like to do a repaint... ive got things i need to repair to bring it up to my standards...
Along with the repairs I can add items details...cannon bulges on the top of the wings...add those cannons.....major work on the tail wheel... this plane does not have a retractable tail wheel..... i will fix that... but i have been told that this plane's tail wheel retracts forward instead of backwards ?....is that true ?
What are the colors im looking for for the africal paint camo. Was the bottom of the plane blue
And the lettering on the sides of the fuse....id like to have a colored pic if there is one to copy off of.

... but i have been told that this plane's tail wheel retracts forward instead of backwards ?....is that true ?

yes, that's true.

Regarding the camo colours... for the desert camo scheme you need :

the Dark Earth - FS 30118
the Middle Stone - FS 30266
the Azure Blue - FS 35231

for the code letter :

the White - FS 37778
or
the Sky S type - FS 34504 or FS 34583

118.jpg
266.jpg
231.jpg
504.jpg
583.jpg
778.jpg

WOW.. I am absorbing this like a sponge..... lol
the color info I greatly appreciate... the color pallets are
nice to see... big thanks.. for that visual...
let me understand a little better.. the letters that go on the
side of the plane.. are suppose to be the sky color?
in the pic it looks black .....
I also am interested in the cockpits....did they have that
same color green... as other US birds ? or was it different
if different please tell me the color and possibly a good
color pic or a pic of the cockpit... this plane does not
have one at all and I plan on building one. i will have to
use another planes cockpit kit.. so If I knew what to look for
as placement of instruments and things maybe I could
closely match another cockpit kit from a different plane
any instrument dashes resemble the typhoon's ?

Code letters were very possibly white, judging by the tones in the photos, as this, along with Medium Sea Grey, were the normal colours for this theatre.
Sky codes are possible though.
Serial numbers are black, 8 inch tall at full scale.
Cockpit colour at this period would be RAF Cockpit Grey Green, a sort of sage green shade, available from most model paint manufacturers. The tubular frame work could often be silver, or also the cockpit colour. Later, the cockpits were matt black, with silver tube frames.
Instrument panel, in matt black, was distinctive.
Pics below from the Duxford cockpit, in the 'late' colours, ,and drawing from an early 1970's article in my files, from, I think Scale M
Typhoon Cpit DX 5.jpg
Typhoon Cpit Dx 4.jpg
Typhoon Cpit DX 3.jpg
Typhoon Cpit DX 2.jpg
Typhoon Cpit DX 1.jpg
Dan Typhoon 020.jpg
odels.

I forgot to mention - the Duxford cockpit has transparent panels on the sides, to allow a view into the cockpit for visitors, therefore the colour can't be seen in some shots.
It would be black on this example, but Cockpit Grey Green on the desert examples.

... let me understand a little better.. the letters that go on the
side of the plane.. are suppose to be the sky color? in the pic it looks black .....

These black digits and letters on the fusealge rear area are the serial number of a plane. The serials were applied in a factory. But when a plane came to a squadron she got squadron code of letters. The code was usually of the Sky colour and consisted of two parts. The first one consisted of two letters and was a code of the squadron. The second part consisted of one letter and was the individual code latter of the plane. Both parts of the code were applied on the fuselage on the left and right side of the RAF roundel. For instance the no.3 Squadron had the code QO while the no.193 had DP in 1943. The individual letters could be from A to Z including X. As a result , the no.3 Squadron kite could be coded QO / RAF roundel / A ( QO-A) or QO-D, QO-S etc, for instance.

451_Squadron_El_Daba_Typhoon_Mk_Ib_DN323_Y_1943_.jpg

As Airframes mantioned , the code letters could be either of white or Medium Sea Grey too for the North Africa area . If you have a look at the first pic I attached to the post #10 you will notice the "Y" letter. It seems to be of the white but it may be a light trick. There can be seen clouds in the sky in the pic. It indicates the pic was taken with using of the yellow filter. It results in getting very light ( almost white ) of the yellow colour and all others that the paint was the component of . The Sky is a such colour and it looks like the white in B&W images taken with the kind of a filter. However it can't be excluded the "Y" was of the white colour indeed. Especially that the letter seems to be applied freshly if compared to the RAF roundel seen barely..

Thanks for teaching me..... guys... im in no way ever been this deep into the details of a plane...
Ive just started detailing my giant scale planes
To bring them more scale appearing.. i plan on winning some awards at the meets im planning on attending.....the cockpit looks very crude....comparred to other planes...

The cockpit was actually fairly advanced for the time, with instruments standarised in common locations, and controls positioned for ease of use, again a standard layout.
Note that the gun sight does not have a reflector screen - the sight image was projected directly onto the windscreen.
What possibly makes it look slightly crude is the tubular structure, part of the very strong construction method.

By any chance.... did any of the african typhoons have D-Day stripes ???... I would think not...
But I thought I would ask...

RIVER... thanks alot. Looking at the model gives a great vision of were panel lines should be...alot of info thanks

By any chance.... did any of the african typhoons have D-Day stripes ???... I would think not...
But I thought I would ask...

D-Day strips were applied on planes participating in the Overlord operation only. So no such strips on the african Typhoons I would say.. Especially these three planes in the North Africa were there in 1943 and the D-Day was a little bit later.

Guys once again I come to you for your help.....
I recently just bought another Giant Scale Plane...
A british Typhoon... can you help me to identify this
plane and its markings... I dont think that the canopy
is correct... I can buy another version canopy called
car door version..... does that make since.. and which
canopy is the correct one for my plane.
another question.. is the spinner used....
can I use a spinner from a spitfire ...??? are they
the same ???
View attachment 526522
Nice semi-scale model. Has what appears to be a desert camouflage scheme. The "TY" is an RAF operational training unit, #24, whose birds were painted standard green/gray camo colors. Read where three Tiffies were sent to the Middle East during WW II for trials. They were reported to have been painted green/sand/azure blue colors. All three were the car-door variant; not the bubble canopy version. The Tiffie had a blunt spinner compared to the Spit and P-51. Canopy looks out of proportion to the model... too big. But, hey, why worry? It's a sweet-looking semi-scale model of a mighty nice machine. Enjoy flying it! You going to use gas or elcetric as a power plant?

As seen from above, the wing tips are supposed to have a circular shape, but the RC model seems to have a much different shape.

That's true. But it seems that the model wasn't designed as a flying maquette. Just not that category. IMHO that's a quite simplified recreation model.

typhoon wing tip.jpg

the pic source: the Internet.

I am already planning on a new Paint...job....but not like your thinkin...im gonna dirty it up....im going to order some parts to make it appear more scale looking....along with a panel line and rivet kit...( not cheap ) ...by the way....I will get car door canopy....since ive decided to mimik the R serial numbered plane....1b version in a pic of the plane it did Not have any letters before or after the circular insignia on the fuse.... just the serial number... i will paint the plane aluminum silver first... then layout the camo thanks for given me the colors. This forum has been awsome and you guys have been very generious with your knowledge and help.... Thanks
But once I get the camo colors on I will then start scuffing and rubbing off the camo in areas of high wear.... to make it look realist and dirty....ive been very impressed how you guys that build models pay attention to details....but just imagine taking all that time and care....and putting it in the air at the controls of your own hands....thats a whole different level of excitement... lol.
This Plane...will be Gas...ive already Ordered and recieved the 85cc motor... i get a chance I will start posting some pictures.....

Another observation ... looking at other typhoons..they have yellow on the leading edge
Of the wing..... do we know if the African camo versions... had that as well ?

The enlarged shots of the wing leading edge of the EJ906 and R8891 reveal that there wasn't the yellow ID strip there. The DN323 seems to have them not applied too.

EJ906_El_Daba_1943.jpg

R8891_El_Daba_1943.jpg

WURGER..... You the man... bro.. thanks...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back