Typhoon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Teammuir1

Airman
Dec 6, 2018
Guys once again I come to you for your help.....
I recently just bought another Giant Scale Plane...
A british Typhoon... can you help me to identify this
plane and its markings... I dont think that the canopy
is correct... I can buy another version canopy called
car door version..... does that make since.. and which
canopy is the correct one for my plane.
another question.. is the spinner used....
can I use a spinner from a spitfire ...??? are they
the same ???
typhoone 1.jpg

I believe there were only 3-4 Typhoons that were sent to the North African theatre and I'm not 100% sure of the camouflage colours. Early Typhoons had the "car door" canopies, not sure at this point when they changed over to bubbletops

Last edited:
I am actually thinking about buying that car door canopy... I was told
by another rc'r that the car door canopy was the correct version
I figured you guys would know.. lol

The Typhoon came with both a car door (early) and bubble canopy (later). The bubble canopy you have doesn't look right. Google Hawker Typhoon and you'll see that the one you have there looks too big.

As for the markings, it doesn't look like the previous owner went for authenticity. The colours aren't correct for a desert scheme nor is the pattern, The wing roundels look small and the fin flash also looks small. I bet you the guy's initials were TGY.

And yes, you need a spinner and no it's not the same as a Spitfire.

awsome info guys.... what attracted me to the plane was its size and color....
its different and when one of my buddies told me it was affrican sceam I thought
that is different ... so I bought it....I can change the color to be correct thats no problem...
the letters on the plane ..your prolly right that my be his own knock off... I get my
decals from Callie graphix.. those guys do a great job for me.. so getting the correct
nominclature is not a problem either.... I didnt think the canopy looked right...
so which one could I use... and for what nominclature on the plane.
do we have a pic that dipicts the affrican scheam that I can copy ?

that bubble canopy looks alot like the P-51 style.... ( to me )

The canopy on the model looks like a P-51D canopy, possibly all that was available to the original model builder. The Typhoon 'bubble' canopy was much smaller. It would be possible to mould one, using the traditional technique of a balsa former and heated clear sheet.

Only three Typhoons were sent to North Africa, very briefly, for desert trials. and they were the early, 'car door' type.
Profile below shows one (profile from 'Warpaint - Typhoon'.).
Typhoon desert scheme..jpg

The P-47 'bubble' canopy was modelled on the Typhoon canopy, but was not the same - accounts of Thunderbolts and Mustangs 'getting the Typhoon canopy' actually refer to them being fitted with a Typhoon type canopy.
However, a suitable P-47 canopy might look acceptable on this R/C model.

ALL great info... and your right this plane does not have the extra's that should be when building to or close to scale.
but be that as it may.. I can get all those things...I have already looked into that...the cannons as you say...would that be
correct for this plane. I was told that the ones going to africa only had machine guns...not the type that your talking about?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back