Typhoon

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

"As soon as the aircraft entered service, it was apparent the profile of the Typhoon resembled a Fw 190 from some angles, which caused more than one friendly fire incident involving Allied anti-aircraft units and other fighters. This led to Typhoons first being marked up with all-white noses, and later with high visibility black and white stripes under the wings, a precursor of the markings applied to all Allied aircraft on D-Day. "

Hawker Typhoon - Wikipedia

A note though.. these early quick ID stripes were different from those used for the D-Day. The early ones consisted of three broad white stripes and four narrow black ones. The D-Day ID consisted of there white and two black stripes , each of the same width.

the early

the D-Day

Note also that the early I.D. markings, with the black and white stripes, also included a single yellow stripe on the upper surfaces of both main wings.
When the first Typhoons had the all white nose, the underwing stripes were black only.
These markings would apply to the 'car door' version.

But no stripes were added to the ones that went to africa... Correct ?
thats the paint scheme I am duplicating.. is the 3 that went to Africa.

Here are the colours you want that Wojtek posted a bit ago...

...take into consideration, computer colour renderings, the printers interpretation for the decal sheet and that John mixed his own colours in the link( very nice job by the way). Do you have a brand of paint that you are going to use?

The Azure Blue was FS 35231 as I had posted before. However there can be some of difference in the colour tone in John's pics. Just because of the light conditions the images were taken with. Also he mixes the colours in order to get a required tinge.

PS. sorry .. I have criss-crossed my post with Geo. His post is valid as well certainly.

I am in NO WAY.. complaining... all I was doing was making a statement.
then asking.. if his looks right.. I went off the color I thought looked more like
his.. cause I really like that color...
so check this pic out and tell me what you think.

guys.. if you have not heard already.. this brand of paint which is NEW...
is simply freeking AWSOME...
so let me show you what I mean...
look at how it covers and lays down...
there has not been another rattle can paint ever ,,,, that is as good as this stuff...

Judging by the colour of the cap of the spary can it is a little bit too dark. But it might be the pic. Could you post a shot with painted any other detail, for instance, a white plastic spoon with the colour ?

I went to the Home Depot site and checked out your green paint to see if they had any colour info; Hex number, RGB etc. and they did...

I entered the Hexadecimal Value into the Paint.net colour chart which will also show the RGB. I placed the chart next to the interior green colour chip...very close

I then used the Colour Picker tool to see the difference in numbers which mean nothing to me but I was curious...

I don't know how many colours Rustoleum has or if other spray bombs also have the colour info but its a good way to check how close the colour is before you buy it

Well, if those are supposed to be Typhoon cockpit parts then a little license has been taken. The Typhoon had a tubular frame supporting the instrument panel and the various controls on the sides. There weren't any enclosed consoles. I believe I posted a pic in the link I gave you.

Early Typhoons like yours had the cockpit grey/green colour part way up the side of the pit. The upper portion was black. The colour you have there looks more like American green zinc chromate. Later Typhoons had the green replaced by silver dope.

I agree, the cockpit parts look more like a P-47, if very basic.
Car door Typhoons had the cockpit in RAF Cockpit Grey Green. Later Typhoons, with the 'bubble' canopy were, as Andy stated, black, wtih silver and / or grey green frames - see pics in my post #24.

Users who are viewing this thread