Wayne's Award Winning Models

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Oh man.....Wonderful, wonderful !!!! That's a pity I cannt express it in Polish, although it would be a short expression rather.

Wayne, how did you get the vertical aerial (stretched sprue) to attach to the aft fuselage without getting a glue "glob" to be apparent? Masterful job.

Great pics Wayne, ur an artist with the camera as well as the airbrush.... Ur panel lines are of special interest to me, they are phenominal to me for some reason..

Thanks Dan, I will provide some detailed info and pictures as soon as I get my next project painted in the next week or two....

Wayne, how did you get the vertical aerial (stretched sprue) to attach to the aft fuselage without getting a glue "glob" to be apparent? Masterful job.

Thanks to you too Matt!....I drill a small hole at the attachment point on the fuselage, I fit the main antenna wiring, then get another piece of stretched sprue approximately a centimeter longer than required, I touch the tip in some superglue and pick up just a tiny amount, the trick then is to position it in the drilled hole first time! Then i just lean it against the main wire just forward of the actual attachment point, next, nail clippers to cut off the excess within a millimeter of main wire..real steady at this point! Then normally I carefully lean it back to it's original point against the main wire and a tiny dab of superglue again fixes it to the main wire! Now in this instance the secondary wire is vertical rather than sort of curving up to the main wire so this one had to be cut right against the main wire no room for errors!
At this point you are adding the finishing touches so you must be very careful not to break anything!

Attachments

• Aerial_1055.JPG
    22.9 KB · Views: 238

I guessed everything except the hole drilling into the fuselage. What do you use for the tool and what size drill bit? That's some small stuff, Wayne. I assume you use the glue to seal the whole since the antenna wire (sprue) is about three times the thickness of a human hair. And then just retouch the colored paint? And then spot spray with your matt clear to ensure overall consistency?

You can see what I'm asking. What looks to the average modeler might be very much a multi-step process for just this LITTLE bit of perfection.

The drill bit was a No.80 a real small one it is just visible in the back row in the left corner of the set....and the tool, my fingers!

If the piece of sprue fits right it seals itself basically as the 'hole' is only shallow to seat it, I Touch it up if necessary with a very fine brush, careful to avoid mistakes! haven't had to spot spray matt clear yet!

Attachments

• Mini Drill Set_1280.JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 260
  • Drill_No 80_1281.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 240
The only thing lacking is to "flatten" the tires to indicate its under load.

A minor detail, for sure. This is far above the quality of work I could do, so I sure am not complaining.

The only thing lacking is to "flatten" the tires to indicate its under load.

A minor detail, for sure. This is far above the quality of work I could do, so I sure am not complaining.

Your point is well taken Syscom, it was built back in 2002 and my first real comp model in the Large Scale Open class.
Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees....was probably more concerned with many other details and didn't even give this a thought?

Users who are viewing this thread