Western Canadian Regional Model Contest (2012)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I agree with you Matt. Given that the paras are putting on cam cream, and have their parachutes on, this would suggest that it's close to 'wheels off'. In which case, any weapon or item going with them, which wasn't being carried as personal kit, would be packed and 'chuted, either as 'door bundles', or as under-slung pannier loads, to be dropped with the stick.
A para would also never leave his reserve 'chute stuffed among other items on the ground, or with a weapon, or anything else, lying on it or across it, and certainly nowhere near fuel or oil!
I've also juts noticed that the cargo door, and the crew door, are lined - something I've never seen on a para-drop C-47, either from WW2, or post war, and the internal colour of the door, and all the artwork, suggests the modeller had based the model itself on what he or she has seen on a present day example. The interior, and doors, were normally bare, painted metal, in Bronze Green or Interior Green. The entry ladder also looks like a post war modification of the standard issue C-47 step, part of the aircraft's equipment. These were sometimes extended for civilian use, as it was quite a height from ground level to the first step, but of course there might have Been the odd military exception.
Finally, after all the effort in assembling the diorama, which is perhaps a little crowded for the size of the base, the modeller doesn't appear to have added any antenna wires to the upper fuselage, or between the pitot and beam approach antenna beneath the nose.
And before anyone has a go at me for criticising - I'm not.
I like the diorama for what the modeller has tried to achieve, these are just my observations, with a little background experience to support my views!

Right then, let's move on to the real 1/48 Moderate Detail Multi-engined Prop category. This one's the one Mike (Migrant) alluded to earlier. 4 entries in this one, starting with this first place Mistel by Dragon:

Attachments

• Dragon Mistel Gold 1.jpg
    Dragon Mistel Gold 1.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 84
  • Dragon Mistel Gold 2.jpg
    Dragon Mistel Gold 2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 64
No Mike, sorry. Been waiting for them to update their website with the results.

Here's second place, a fantastic Italeri Hercules in a digi-camo scheme.

Attachments

• Italeri Hercules Silver 1.jpg
    Italeri Hercules Silver 1.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 90
  • Italeri Hercules Silver 2.jpg
    Italeri Hercules Silver 2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Italeri Hercules Silver 3.jpg
    Italeri Hercules Silver 3.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 78
Wow!
If that's the 1/48th scale kit then:-
a) It's bleedin' huge! (over 33 inch span)
B) Very impressive
and
c) How the **** did he do that colour scheme!!
Personally, I'm not too keen on the scheme, but it's exceptionally well done, and a very nice model.

Thanks for the close-ups of the Herc, Andy, that's the first time I've seen the camo application 'up-close' – very impressive. I suspect Paul (Holmes) also re-scribed the entire kit as I believe it comes with raised surface detail.

Just came back for another look. Where the heck would you start, to mask and paint that scheme?! Got me dizzy just thinking about it.
Looking forward to seeing that Mitchell II in the background, if you got any pics Andy.

I swear to God if that digital camo scheme becomes the norm, modern 1/48th and lesser size scales will become obsolete for modern aircraft. How the EFF did that guy do that. In my eyes, he wins the Regional Meet hands down.

I should close the thread. :lol:

Well, Matt, if you did that, you'd miss out on all the armour and dioramas coming up.

Third place is this Italeri B-25C.

Attachments

• Italeri B25C Bronze 1.jpg
    Italeri B25C Bronze 1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 95
  • Italeri B25C Bronze 2.jpg
    Italeri B25C Bronze 2.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 82

Users who are viewing this thread

Back