Western Canadian Regional Model Contest (2012)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well spotted David. It's possible that these are 'flats', where the tyres should be in contact with the base, but the wheels have been rotated accidentally when placing the model.

Huh, guess I didn't notice that. The model should have dropped a place then!

Next up, 1/72 scale moderate detail single engined prop. First went to an Airfix Spitfire Mk IIa. Almost looks to me like the codes were painted. Second is a Zvezda Yak 3 and third of 3 entries, another Wyvern by Trumpeter.

Airfix Spitfire IIa Gold.jpg

Zvezda Yak 3 Silver.jpg

Trumpeter Wyvern Bronze.jpg

I think it's a 'speed brake' of some kind David, for landing approach to a carrier - seem to remember seeing it mentioned in a magazine feature on the Wyvern.

Those 1/72nd models were wonderful. I believe the airbrakes on the Wyvern was for landing approaches that allow for a higher engine power in case of a missed approach, thus you wouldn't have as many RPMs to achieve on a moments notice, you just retract the airbrakes and higher turbine spool time is minimized. I really liked the last three. While the panel lines are a bit heavy, achieving a more realistic look is much more difficult in that tiny scale. Beauties!

Surprised that the brake would open into the airflow like that. Would have expected the hinge to be in front to fail closed.

Those 1/72nd models were wonderful. I believe the airbrakes on the Wyvern was for landing approaches that allow for a higher engine power in case of a missed approach, thus you wouldn't have as many RPMs to achieve on a moments notice, you just retract the airbrakes and higher turbine spool time is minimized. I really liked the last three. While the panel lines are a bit heavy, achieving a more realistic look is much more difficult in that tiny scale. Beauties!

Totally agree Matt, three very nice 1/72 builds. (And to be honest, I get a bit fed up with the 'panel lines are too heavy' comments. According to who? The only arbiter of what's acceptable in panel line emphasis is the builder of the model.)

I agree on all points. They are very nice models, and it is the decision, and to the taste of the modeller, which way to do or not to do panel lines. Any comment I make regarding said panel lines is purely my thoughts on my personal taste, as I tend to think that some models, some of mine included, may look fine to the eye, but look like very good models in photos, where, with restraint, these same models could possibly look real in photos.
Purely a personal thing, and no disrespect meant or intended to any of the models or modellers I may have criticised.

I agree on all points. They are very nice models, and it is the decision, and to the taste of the modeller, which way to do or not to do panel lines. Any comment I make regarding said panel lines is purely my thoughts on my personal taste, as I tend to think that some models, some of mine included, may look fine to the eye, but look like very good models in photos, where, with restraint, these same models could possibly look real in photos.
Purely a personal thing, and no disrespect meant or intended to any of the models or modellers I may have criticised.

No offense meant to you either, Airframes my friend. You know better about photography than I do, but I will say that having much less skills than these dudes when you take a close up pick of any model (let alone that of a 1/72nd scale model) you are in for a world of modeller cringing as suddenly your art looks like a Lego contsruction. So I have much sympathy for those modellers/photographers of models that take close up shots. They can be utterly brutal to the subject.

And that is all I have to say about thayat. :toothy5:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back