Western Canadian Regional Model Contest (2014)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lovely machines shots Andy and sorry to hear about the family woes, it seems to me this is the year for upsets. Hope all works out for you.

Thanks guys. I didn't take pictures of every entry this time, just the stuff I liked. Moving on to the 1/48 Superdetailed Single Prop category, both Cory and I had entries in this one. I'll start by posting pictures of the winner, a beautifully represented model of Hartmann's 109 done up in a winter scheme.

I will need to apologize for the quality of the pictures guys. The lighting was bad so it was either use flash or tripod. The last time I used a tripod, there was too much shake as people leaned on the tables while the pictures were being taken, plus it was rather disruptive to the viewers. The automatic setting with flash on the other hand produced a very narrow depth of field so you'll see a lot of near and far parts of the pictures to be out of focus.

140607 Hartmann 10901.jpg
140607 Hartmann 10902.jpg
140607 Hartmann 10903.jpg
140607 Hartmann 10904.jpg
140607 Hartmann 10905.jpg

This is the display card for those interested. This is a major kit bash as you can see.

1_48 SuperDet SingleProp Gold 5.jpg

Figured I'd pop by and say hello.

The Hawk 81 is mine - built it for my brother, who's nuts about early P-40s. I didn't list it as OOB (it wasn't by a long shot - the card says "Super-detailed") but dumped it on the table while I went to find out where it really belonged! FSM has the build article on it at the moment. I corrected the wretched thing, from putting the nose on a diet to modding the stabs instead of the elevators (which are quite a close match to factory drawings, hinge line notwithstanding). That kit is a dog.

That winter 109 is mine too. It made the front cover of FSM for the May 2014 issue. Actually, FSM just sent me the contract for my portfolio, but who knows when they'll publish.

I don't know if any of you knew Dave Mulligan (Otterkins2, I think his moniker was), but that 109 was built out of kits he'd given to me before he died. I got to know him through our mutual interest in German WWII Luftwaffe hardware. He had asked me to finish some kits he'd been working on but was unable to finish due to the progressive nature of his illness. I was humbled, to say the least. I didn't find out he'd died until a few months ago, and I miss his generosity, his crotchety ways, his eye for detail and his meticulous research. I have some of his artwork and line drawings at home, and refer to them often as I slave away over another 109 or 190.

Due to work constraints this was the first contest I'd been to in about 4 years, and to my eye the competition was fierce - there are some really talented artists out there. Reading this thread, it seems I've found some of you!

Regards,

Simon

Good pictures Andy despite the problems you had, it is hard with so many folks about and everyone wanting to stick their noses in the cockpit.

Welcome aboard Simon and what a way to make yourself known, a couple of brilliant models there, I stand in awe of your skills

Hey Simon, great to have you join us! It was nice meeting and chatting with you at the show and I hope you don't mind me showing off your stuff. If you have any pics to show, feel free to toss them in.

The Hawk is definitely well done. The info sheet says category 1A Simon, which is the OOB category, and that's why I put it in with the others.

Anyhoo, still with 1/48 Superdetailed Single Prop, I was honoured to take the silver with my FAA Corsair II that was featured in our PTO Group Build.

1_48 SuperDet SingleProp Silver.jpg

Bronze went to another fine 109 built by Simon, this time a Bf109C representing Werner Moelders' mount in the Spanish Civil War. I've attached the info sheet so you can read for yourself what was done to this one.

1_48 SuperDet Single Prop Bronze 01.jpg
1_48 SuperDet Single Prop Bronze 02.jpg
1_48 SuperDet Single Prop Bronze 03.jpg
1_48 SuperDet Single Prop Bronze 04.jpg
1_48 SuperDet Single Prop Bronze 05.jpg
1_48 SuperDet Single Prop Bronze 06.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back