What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Found out someone broke into my friends barn and trailer that I use while up north on hunting trips. Store an ATV and other items and generally trashed the place. He had the ATV up for sale on Facebook, but listed as sold already. Turns out he already has a warrant out for his arrest and is well know for holding garage sales with his stolen items. Turns out this is pretty common in the area. Police don't do much as it is historically been the poorest county in the state and they are strapped for cash, or at least that's the story.
Crooks just p!ss me of more than just about anything else.

Today I got a notice that my kid's October tuition payment is overdue, and they are going to charge me a $40 late fee. I have a bank statement that says I paid on time.

Aaaaand now my roof is leaking.
Water coming in through the bathroom fan. Looks like the vent cap blew off. Or it could be the flashing around the vent. Looks like I get to go topside.

Roof update. Lost some shingles over the winter exposing the base of the vent. Water pouring off the adjacent dormer forced water under the base and into the attic. Water ran down pipe and dripped onto flex soaking through the attic floor and dripping through bathroom fan housing. We collected 2" of water overnight in a pail we placed under the leak in the attic. I got up on the roof this evening after work and pumped a whole tube of asphalt roofing sealer around the base of the vent. Hope it works. Bucket will remain in place until I am sure.

Still fighting with my former propane company.
When I closed my account with them, they sent me a "final bill".
$149 for picking up the tank
$68 convenience fee
$12 sales tax

I've tried to dispute the bill with them and they sent it to collection.

Fine, two can play at this game - I'm turning them in to the Public Utilities Commission and the State Franchise Tax Board because in California, it's illegal to charge sales tax on labor.

And I am looking at seeing about a class action lawsuit against them, because I'm sure this propane company has done the same to others.

After I bought my house in 1993 I was puzzled by some roof leaks. None were inside the house, but there were leaks on the back porch and right in front of the front door, water dripping from the soffit in both places. The roof was new, only about a year old, and looked fine.

The back porch leaks got fixed in 1995 when Hurricane Erin blew the back porch off the house and that side of the roof was replaced. But the other leaks persisted. Finally, in 2007 I was planning to paint the house and went up on the roof, looking to see what I'd need to do. At that point I found out why the leaks were occurring.

The idiots who put the new roof on in 1992 had failed to put down a starter row of shingles on the edge of the roof! The water was leaking between the tabs of the shingles. I could not believe anyone would be that stupid. There was considerable rotted plywood as a result. My neighbor across the street told me the exact same thing had occurred a few years before on the house next door to mine; the owner caught them and sent them packing. I did recall the day that they were reroofing that house and then abruptly stopped, threw some tarps over the bare roof, and left.

I realized I could not trust anyone to reroof the house if we had such an incredible degree of incompetence in the local roofing industry. I asked a builder I knew for recommendations; he owned the building I worked in. He replied that he knew a company he could recommend very strongly; they were doing a big project for him right then. He picked up the phone, called them, and told them he was sending someone to see them about a job and to "Take care of him." A nice young fellow came over, went up on the roof, and looked things over. I warned him about the rotted wood. I was stunned by the quote he gave me; it was about HALF what I expected! Obviously they had been told by one of their bigger customers to "take care of me." I did not bother with any more quotes; they did great job.

Last edited:
Put in an offer in on a beautiful new home. 2 story, 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom, home office, 2 wood fire fireplaces, and a nice partially wooded acreage….

Offered 30K over asking price…

Was outbid. The new owner offered 40K over asking price, waived the appraisal, and waived the requirement that the seller makes repairs (crazy because there was a huge storm last week with large hail and very high winds).

Last edited:
You were probably beat by one of these new corporations that are buying up houses.
They waive stuff like that because they bring their own crews and do remods. to their own specs.

My nephew is going through the same thing. On one hand I want the bubble to burst, so people can afford homes again. On the other, last time I was out of work for a year after the company I worked for went belly up.

Users who are viewing this thread