What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

One guy stated at 9:30 and kept a steady stream blowing up until a little after 11:00. Have not bought fireworks myself for many years, but I imagine that had to be pretty expensive these days.

The firefight did not keep me from getting to sleep. Fortunately my current dog does not get nearly as upset as my last two when thunder and fireworks are occurring. Of course, while the last two did not especially like the yard maintenance equipment they did not attack the weed whacker when I was using it and thus I was not laughing so hard that it interfered with the chores.

All fireworks are banned in our territory and the surrounding state of NSW with the exception of approved licensed displays. The sale of fireworks is also banned.
Yes, they periodically do that here, too, It never works and they give up. Which, given that we are talking abut the 4th of July, is pretty funny.

Butt wipes were launching rather large illegal fireworks here until 2AM. My poor bark angels were terrified to the point of vomiting up their dinners. Too bad they [ Butt wipes] didn't have a major malfunction as they were doing it.

Last edited:
The electric window mechanism on my 97 Celica fell apart. I have had to replace it twice when the motor quit, first in 2008 and then in 2014. But this time it still works or would if it was all together, but the screws that hold the motor and the reel together simply fell off and it dismantled itself. Driving around with the window partially up was most unpleasant since you could neither use the air cond or get the WD-40 breeze. Getting the mechanism out of the door was the usual nightmare - it is much harder to do with the window down, and it fell down when I got home.

Based on looking at pictures of intact units I THINK can reassemble it. Or looks like I can buy the whole thing, new, for $75 plus shipping.

I am leaning toward doing both.

If you can access it, try to remove and rebuild it although a new replacement could still be a better option. I still prefer the old hand crank mechanism which is why I drive "old" cars.

Today, on the way home from work, I saw city workers tearing up the freshly laid concrete sidewalks they had just laid near my house. It just astounds me how often this happens. Is it poor planning? Incompetence? Or did they have to use up some money in the budget or risk having their slice of the pie reduced next year?

None of above...

Right answer is:

Peculation!

No, I doubt that. Unless the company doing the work is owned by the city planner's cousin, and is grossly overcharging for the work.
Not like that has never happened.
No, a better example would be when the city declared Nicollet Island to be a city park, used eminent domain to force the property owners out, then allocated the properties via lottery to those willing to maintain the historic homes, for the princely sum of $1 a year leases. Then many of the homes ended up going to people with connections to the city leadership.

Today, on the way home from work, I saw city workers tearing up the freshly laid concrete sidewalks
Happened here, too. That's when they found out they put the new sidewalks over the sewer pipe. A few years earlier I called them to report sewage coming up in my front yard. They replied, "Can't be the sewer! It's out under the street! Must be your line to the sewer!" And I pointed out that I was not on their sewer line; my house has a septic tank. But that lesson learned did not stop them a few years later from putting the new sidewalk right over the sewer line.

A fellow I worked with had rural property he inherited. One day when he checked to see how high the weeds had grown, he found a state asphalt plant on it. It seems the velum map was flopped and the plant should have been on the other side of the road. Being a nice guy, the arrangement he made was that the state lease the land for 99 years at $1per year and when finished, return the land to original condition while maintaining the property for the 99 years, whether in use as an asphalt plant or not. His grandchildren are set for life as the asphalt was used for paving the new streets in the area.

I think I already mentioned the case of an airline pilot who lived West of Miami. The Army came in and bought some of his property for a Nike missile site. When the system was shut down in the 70's they stripped the missile gear out and left the buildings. He finally srated storing stuff in the buildings. After a number of years he decided he would reacquire the property and went down to the country records office to see which agency owned it. Turned out the Army had never bothered with changing any titles and he already legally owned it.
Normally such surplus Federal real property is transferred to the General Services Admin, which then makes it available to Federal, State, and local governments before listing it for sale. In Western Oklahoma there is a high school with its own Atas F missile silo.

Users who are viewing this thread