What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have no choice since I'm over 75.

Heavy snow today making driving adventurous. On my way back from the model store, a car cut me off to turn left in front of me, forcing me to miss the light. When the light turned green I proceeded to turn left onto the freeway on-ramp. Well, lo and behold! At the bottom of the ramp, there was the car that had cut me off. She had slid across three lanes of traffic and hit the barrier, losing a bumper and spinning to face the wrong way. I hope the truck that stopped wasn't a victim of this idiot, and just a concerned passerby.

Back to the dentist office. Website shows the close at 2 but it is really 1. They cannot work me in until Wednesday. Ouch. I think it is the same tooth they worked on a couple of months ago. I did not have any problems until I started see a dentist regularly. Lol.

In some Asian countries like Malaysia and Singapore they use the rattan for punishing rapists and sexual molesters, among other things. To quote wiki Beginning in the 1990s, the higher courts have been more inclined to impose caning sentences in cases where caning is a discretionary punishment. For example, in 1993, an 18-year-old molester was initially sentenced to six months' imprisonment but he appealed against his sentence. Chief Justice Yong Pung How not only dismissed his appeal, but also added three strokes of the cane to the sentence. This precedent set by the Chief Justice became a benchmark for sentences in molestation cases, where the court is expected to sentence a molester to at least nine months' imprisonment and three strokes of the cane if the offence involves touching the victim's private parts

Funny thing is they get no repeat offenders.

I think this should also be used for pedophiles. It serves two purposes. Like the rape victim the rapist is terrified of being on the receiving end of a second beating so that perfectly meets the bibles "an eye for an eye". The second is the rapist spreads the word that their idea of fun has a serious down side.

As a aside a friend who was a sole trader (had his own one man business) evaded being on a jury for a long drug trial by saying he thought that marijuana should be legal.

Not long after I moved to Southern Calif in 1978 there was a horrific crime. A man in his early 30's raped a 14 year old girl in a public wilderness park and then tried to kill her by cutting her arms off. The girl did not die and described running down the road to get help, "holding her arms up to keep the muscles from falling out." Lindsey Wagner visited her in the hospital. They caught the criminal and gave him only 20 years in jail.
After I moved to FL in the 1990's I heard that criminal had served his time and was planning on relocating to the Tampa area. People there protested but he had the right to move there. Within 2 weeks of arriving he raped and murdered a woman. He died in prison.
I guess it is not feasible to order the death penalty for a rape without murder, but surely CA could have at least given him life without parole.

Without a death penalty for aggravated crimes, a life prison term is just a tax burden on the body politic. Sometimes I think death penalty opponents are simply advocating an excuse for not taking the evidence seriously and not taking responsibility for the trial's just outcome. After all, a death sentence reduces instances of recidivism!

Yep, the electric chair is period furniture - it completes the sentence

On the other hand the number of people who go to jail because the cops created or ignored evidence means there must be an antidote for that problem. To me the cops should receive the exact same sentence they gave the innocent person.

Would save a lot of cities a lot of pension costs.

I do not oppose the death penalty when it is warranted, however, there can be not one single ounce of doubt. Innocent people are convicted all the time and often later found to be innocent and released. The death penalty is not reversible. Therefore if there is any single ounce of doubt, a life sentence must be handed down. There can be no doubt.

Not having a death sentence is an excuse people for saying to themselves "Well, it isn't a real problem if a case is not investigated or prosecuted properly- after all, nobody is going to be put to death, only being sentenced to prison."

Somewhat off topic, possibly more for the jokes column.
A friend I have mentioned before on the forum, who flew Corsairs and Hellcats in the big one, ran a small loan operation by the 1970s. The only way to claim a non payer for tax loss was to try to contact the person at his last known address. To give a visual picture of Herb, he greatly resembled Tim Conway playing Mr. Tudball. One day I stopped by his business to visit and his secretary, Dot, was putting a bandaid on a small cut on his bald head. The story was, he went to a local project to verify the subject had moved. He noticed as he went in, there were two young thug types sitting on the steps. As he left, he thought it odd they would have gone and he hesitated as he stepped out. One them swung a pipe at Herb, glancing off his forehead. Herb reflexively caught his wrist in Herb's right arm while breaking the arm with his left hand between elbow and shoulder, throwing the thug off the steps. Herb had refused to call police upon his return, so Dot made the call to report it.
A couple days later, I stopped in to check how he was and I got the rest of the story. Since Herb was sure he had broken the thug's arm, the police found the subject at the hospital. He of course denied all. Herb was brought in for the ID and still the thug refused. The thug was heavily bandaged as he had fallen off the steps into a Rose bush, and with only one good arm, thrashed around. The officers said they would lock Herb in with the thug to talk about it. At that point, the thug said, "No please don't do that. I did it!.
Herb's comment was, "That Navy training really paid off."

I agree. It's a civic duty. I've been called several times, sat through voir dire twice, never selected.

Users who are viewing this thread