What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Not long after I moved to Southern Calif in 1978 there was a horrific crime. A man in his early 30's raped a 14 year old girl in a public wilderness park and then tried to kill her by cutting her arms off. The girl did not die and described running down the road to get help, "holding her arms up to keep the muscles from falling out." Lindsey Wagner visited her in the hospital. They caught the criminal and gave him only 20 years in jail.
After I moved to FL in the 1990's I heard that criminal had served his time and was planning on relocating to the Tampa area. People there protested but he had the right to move there. Within 2 weeks of arriving he raped and murdered a woman. He died in prison.
I guess it is not feasible to order the death penalty for a rape without murder, but surely CA could have at least given him life without parole.

I remember that case ... Lawrence something was his name. It was being adjudicated while I was in high school.

Buck: It could be for a District Court.... Been called a number of times between city, county, state and federal courts. Only had to ask to be excused one time, and it was a District Court. Case involved a lawsuit between an HOA and group of property owners. I asked to be moved to another pool, as the HOA I was in, was involved in a number of similar suits at the time. Told the judge that I could be impartial, but was worried about cost to all parties should there be any challenges come up related to my situation and being on the jury. Got the pass and never got called again for the District. Been on city and county juries three times now, and in the final pool 3 times.
Yes, looked at the summons more closely over the weekend, District count so that explains it. Got bot an e-mail and v-mail this morning stating my reporting date has been cancelled, but will remain in call for the duration of the time I am appointed to. Hope they don't call, back is causing issues again and not sure how well sitting for the majority of they day will be.

My last bout with the flu was worse than Covid. I thought Covid was just my usual fall cold.

Thats what I found as well.

This year has been ridiculous when it comes to illness. Ever since my kids went back to school we have been continuously sick.

I think I did a round of Novovirus followed immediately by RSV. Both were spreading like wildfire through my kids school. For about two weeks I thought I was dying. Spent a week praying to the porcelain goddess out both ends, followed by another week of violent coughing and fever. One night my fever and chills were so bad I was shivering uncontrollably. My 6 year old son was crying asking my wife if I was dying.

Thats what I found as well.

This year has been ridiculous when it comes to illness. Ever since my kids went back to school we have been continuously sick.

I think I did a round of Novovirus followed immediately by RSV. Both were spreading like wildfire through my kids school. For about two weeks I thought I was dying. Spent a week praying to the porcelain goddess out both ends, followed by another week of violent coughing and fever. One night my fever and chills were so bad I was shivering uncontrollably. My 6 year old son was crying asking my wife if I was dying.
That sounds unenviable!

That sounds unenviable!

It's unavoidable when people can't afford to keep their kids home from school when sick.

I'm fortunate my work situation allows me to work from home, and I get plenty of PTO a year so I can stay home when my kids are sick, but many can't either because they can't afford or are not afforded decent PTO or sick leave. So they drop their sick kids off at school and they get everyone else sick. It has become a never ending cycle…

My last bout with the flu was worse than Covid. I thought Covid was just my usual fall cold.
The worst flu I have ever had, was the H1N1 back in 2009.

It literally kicked my ass for over a month with fevers, draining sinuses that I could not stop unless I stuffed kleenexes in my nose along with a constant wet cough.

If there's any upside to H1N1, the antibodies stay in your system, so when I caught Covid in late December '19, it lasted almost a week.

The only time I have felt worse from a condition (car wreck excluded), was getting food poisoning down in Mexico back in the 80's, which had me praying for a quick death...

Another damn helicopter unnecessarily buzzing my community low enough to rattle the windows or framed glass art on the walls.
Happens way too often, and I'm a huge Aviation Guy.

Do you live near an airfield?

If not it most likely was an air ambulance or some other first responder type. Their are regulations on how low most aircraft can fly over populated areas, so I would think they were not unnecessarily buzzing your community just to buzz it.

It literally kicked my ass for over a month with fevers, draining sinuses that I could not stop unless I stuffed kleenexes in my nose along with a constant wet cough.

If there's any upside to H1N1, the antibodies stay in your system, so when I caught Covid in late December '19, it lasted almost a week.

The only time I have felt worse from a condition (car wreck excluded), was getting food poisoning down in Mexico back in the 80's, which had me praying for a quick death...
Montezuma's Revenge!
I experienced something similar when I was in Morrocco in 1999.

COVID in 2019? Where did you catch it? That was pretty soon in the pandemic

COVID in 2019? Where did you catch it? That was pretty soon in the pandemic

first confirmed cases in the US were December 2019. It is believed it entered the US in October. Nobody knew to look for it, and there were no tests for it yet

We think my wife had it in in November. She was seriously ill with what were later identified as Covid symptoms. She tested negative for all known viruses at the time.

I got it the last week of December 2019 while working at O'Reilly auto parts in Redding (California), which is a city in Northern California along Interstate 5, which is a main highway with considerable traffic between major cities on the west coast of the U.S.

I had gone to the Doc and they did tests and originally concluded I just had the flu.

Several months later, I was asked to do a blood test from UC Davis because the Doctor had submitted my test results to their database. This is how I found out not only that I had Covid, but they also found H1N1 antibodies in my system.

Aparently, from several databases compiled, the researchers found that people that had H1N1 antibodies in their system were resistant to Covid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back