What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hyundai trying to gaslight me into thinking that, despite it being pronounced "high-un-die" since the Pony arrived in our market in 1982 (41 years ago), we should have been saying, "hee-yun-day".

We had this years ago when despite it being advertised on TV for many years as the "kah", Ford wanted us to believe the Ka had always been pronounced "kay-ay".

Absolute bollsheet.

Hyundai trying to gaslight me into thinking that, despite it being pronounced "high-un-die" since the Pony arrived in our market in 1982 (41 years ago), we should have been saying, "hee-yun-day".

We had this years ago when despite it being advertised on TV for many years as the "kah", Ford wanted us to believe the Ka had always been pronounced "kay-ay".

Absolute bollsheet.
It is a cheap way to rebrand a product, instead of changing the name, you just tell everyone they were pronouncing it wrongly. In fact if you try to pronounce it as a Korean does it hurts your throat, as many of our words hurt their throats speaking English.

The general contractor on the project I'm on.
They built a cofferdam to their design that is totally useless and can't pump the water down no matter how many pumps they use. A case of them bidding $0.01 for it (yes, that's one cent) for something that should cost tens of thousands of dollars, and now trying to put the very least amount of work into it. I'm on them like stink on you know what telling them that it's not good enough and is not working as they try stupid fixes like today, stuffing styrofoam into the leaks.

On UK TV there are two gentlemen who travel on motorbikes whilst stopping at interesting locations to cook food or sample others food ("The Hairy Bikers"). These pair often sample other people's food, fawning about how great it is and then describe it as "unctuous". So they are either the most insincere food critics on TV, or (as I suspect), they don't understand what the word 'unctuous' means...

On UK TV there are two gentlemen who travel on motorbikes whilst stopping at interesting locations to cook food or sample others food ("The Hairy Bikers"). These pair often sample other people's food, fawning about how great it is and then describe it as "unctuous". So they are either the most insincere food critics on TV, or (as I suspect), they don't understand what the word 'unctuous' means...
In food, unctuous means creamy or oily. What Is Unctuous Food? - Mastery Wiki

The general contractor on the project I'm on.
They built a cofferdam to their design that is totally useless and can't pump the water down no matter how many pumps they use. A case of them bidding $0.01 for it (yes, that's one cent) for something that should cost tens of thousands of dollars, and now trying to put the very least amount of work into it. I'm on them like stink on you know what telling them that it's not good enough and is not working as they try stupid fixes like today, stuffing styrofoam into the leaks.
If you need it bad, we can make it bad. The worse you need it, the worse we'll make it. Now, how bad do you need it?

Dictionary meaning: (chiefly of minerals) having a greasy or soapy feel. Non-dictionary "in food" means, "as used by TV chefs who don't realise what it means".
Two nations divided by a common language

Interesting. Do you work for a regional or national supplier? I only ask because I wonder if the declining demand is regional.

Despite the interest rates ,demand here where I live exceeds inventory. Prices have only come down slightly too. Its still very much a sellers market. My buddy just put his house on the market last Friday. It sold on Saturday for $6K over asking price and $50K over what he originally paid for it. Then on Sunday he was on contract for his new house.

Two houses in my neighborhood just sold within 72 hours of going on the market, both between $20K and $40K over the original sale price (the subdivision is relatively new. All houses are between 2 and 5 years old).
It is crazy here. Our humble house at 1700 square feet is going for $235,00 +. It is a small subdivision of starter homes from 20 years ago. We paid inflatable prices in 2015 at $139,000. We are getting offers of 200,00 + for a house that floods. For 100k profit, it is almost worth quiting the job and retiring to east Texas to the wife acreage and paid off house.

It is crazy here. Our humble house at 1700 square feet is going for $235,00 +. It is a small subdivision of starter homes from 20 years ago. We paid inflatable prices in 2015 at $139,000. We are getting offers of 200,00 + for a house that floods. For 100k profit, it is almost worth quiting the job and retiring to east Texas to the wife acreage and paid off house.
I live in St Paul MN. We bought our current house, a 1917 bungalow, 2050 sq ft counting finished attic and semi finished basement, in 2019 for $275,000.
Zillow says it's worth $350,000 now.

I concur, until the early 1970's it was DAT-SON, not DOTSUN.
There is a Nissan factory close to here. Originally it made Datsuns. The name Datsun was chosen because in its early years, post WW2 they felt "Datsun" sounded less Japanese than "Nissan". Since its a made up name you can say it as you like. The company I worked for in Paris was the same, they are known world wide as JGC (Japan Gas Corporation). The actual company name in Japan is Nikkei.

What you might mean is that they are smarmy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back