What Annoyed You Today? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Friend who drives semi was out bush one day after a lot of rain and saw a farmer in a paddock with an articulated 4WD tractor
bogged to its bum. They unhooked the prime mover from the trailer and hooked it to the tractor.

He said there was a lot of revving from both etc and then the whole lot started to move. Beauty. Farmer was in the cab with a thumb up so keep going.
Next thing my friend knew the farmer and cab had almost disappeared. The pin and plate assembly that joined the front of the tractor
to the back had literally torn off.

End result. Oh well, thanks anyway mate - front of the tractor unbogged - rear still completely stuck so at least they got halfway there.

Several decades ago on a visit to Kansas an old fellow drove up on a very tall farm tractor, the kind used in corn fields. The driver mounts and dismounts by climbing the wheel. After the man drove away, I was told he was ninety two and had to give up his drivers license at ninety. As there was no license required to operate farm tractors on public roads at that time, I was told the man had a few days earlier just driven his tractor to Topeka and back because the Social Security folks wanted to see him in person.
Never too old ton hack the system!

I beg to differ, but I think the main problem with that mower is that the propelling mechanism has caught fire
One of the mowers in question is self-propelled, and the hapless operator can testify to having to chase it down the taxiway at the local airport and up and down the sidewalk since the control mechanism for that feature is nonfunctional.

COMMUNIST CHINESE SPARK PLUGS ANNOY ME! I got my mower running and it was doing great, more power than ever before. Then it quit. Baffled, I finally squirted some starting fluid right into the carb and it would not even sputter. I changed the spark plug, using another PRC one and it ran a bit and quit. I finally found an OLD Champion spark plug and then it ran pretty well. I went on ebay and ordered four genuine Champion spark plugs of the correct type. I have NEVER had a lawnmower spark plug fail and now I have had three PRC POS quit on me.

One of the mowers in question is self-propelled, and the hapless operator can testify to having to chase it down the taxiway at the local airport and up and down the sidewalk since the control mechanism for that feature is nonfunctional.
Reminds me of what happened to a buddy of mine many years ago. He was fixing up an old dirt bike and took it for a test ride when flames started shooting out of somewhere, he gunned the throttle to keep the flames from burning legs and other important body parts, when he roared past a couple high school girls walking down the street. Finally the bike stopped running and the flames died down. As he was walking the bike back to his home he passed the same two girls when one of them says "doesn't seem to run as well when it's not on fire" He just kept walking....

Okay, so now I am annoyed by Porsche.

My neighbor across the street bought a 2009 Porsche Cayenne. He had trouble getting it started and had the battery replaced, at a cost of hundreds of dollars. That did not fix the problem - I had already checked the battery for him and it looked good. He had decided that the starter needs to be replaced and asked me to decide if I wanted to do it for him. The starter costs $200 or less but the shops want $1800 to do the job. I looked at a Youtube video on doing the job and... Good Lord!

The starter is down between the engine cylinder banks! You have to remove an incredible amount of components to get to it! If I did that amount of dismantling on any of my vehicles there would be nothing left under the hood! Assuming I ever got to that starter I very much doubt I could even recall how to put all that stuff back on.

The first problem is that he bought a Porsche.
Indeed. The 550 Spyder might just be the best looking car ever built, but I learned to drive on a 1963 Beetle convertible and I assumed that all manual transmissions were as bad until I got my hands on a Toyota truck with a stick shift. I doubt the 550 transmission felt any better but it probably had enough HP to overcome it.

In any case, my neighbor went back, looked at the video again, and also concluded that it was too much of an effort for us. He has scheduled the repair at a local shop that specializes in European automobiles.

Indeed. The 550 Spyder might just be the best looking car ever built, but I learned to drive on a 1963 Beetle convertible and I assumed that all manual transmissions were as bad until I got my hands on a Toyota truck with a stick shift. I doubt the 550 transmission felt any better but it probably had enough HP to overcome it.

In any case, my neighbor went back, looked at the video again, and also concluded that it was too much of an effort for us. He has scheduled the repair at a local shop that specializes in European automobiles.

And he is going to pay handsomely for it.

I can't speak for older VWs because I have never owned one until now, but I absolutely love my 2022 VW Jetta SE that I bought last year. Very well built, reliable, and super fun to drive.

And he is going to pay handsomely for it.

I can't speak for older VWs because I have never owned one until now, but I absolutely love my 2022 VW Jetta SE that I bought last year. Very well built, reliable, and super fun to drive.
I owned both VW Gol and Golf... And agree with you, Well built, reliable, and fun to drive.

The only problem, here, was the spare parts, both because of sanctions, and they were old!

I also had a Mazda 323, it was good too.

VW 2 litre turbo diesel sportline - 850km (530 mile) round trip uses 33 litres of fuel (with 50km city driving)
which is nearly 7.3 imp gallons - around 4 litres per 100 km or 72 miles per imp gallon.

It's done 320,000 km ( 198,000 miles) with a couple of headlight globes and the usual standard servicing.

P.S. If you want to pass someone it doesn't feel like a diesel at all (speedo goes to 260km).

My 2022 VW Jetta SE regularly gets over 50 mpg on the interstate.

51.6 mpg at 70 mph on my way to the office one morning.

IMG_9729.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back