What Annoyed You Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

My former residence in Jefferson Parish Louisiana just imposed a parish wide permit, $50, for roof replacement. It is required if at least half of the roof is rep[laced. Simply another local govt money grab. I suspect many will replace 40% and later another 40% with a follow on finish. The reason is to eliminate poor workmanship however the permit is required before repair. I am even more glad to be gone from there.

My former residence in Jefferson Parish Louisiana just imposed a parish wide permit, $50, for roof replacement. It is required if at least half of the roof is rep[laced. Simply another local govt money grab. I suspect many will replace 40% and later another 40% with a follow on finish. The reason is to eliminate poor workmanship however the permit is required before repair. I am even more glad to be gone from there.
Here in MN, everything needs a permit.
I got around that when I replaced my back steps by installing a "temporary" precast set. It's not attached to the house.

Any excuse to raise taxes.
A new roof is more valuable than an old roof.
We'll see what happens when I get my proposed tax estimate in November.
A roof not leaking is what a roof should do. Its not an extra surely. Its maintenance. I can understand when the property is sold the value goes up because new roof and that will cut the government a share in taxes. I dig that.

But NOT when it is maintenance to keep your house dry.

I though were i live was f.ed up about taxes.

Flippin e-bay sellers again. Went out of their way to print a note stating that the part has been fully tested for operation then they do a horse-droppings package job so it araves busted up. Then they have a note stuck to the inner bag saying to contact them directly instead of going through e-bay, nope, going through ebay so you take a hit on your lousy packing job (hopefully).

My wife loves Pink, so I purchased tickets in June for the concert. She was so excited. Last week I asked my MIL if she could watch our kids. She said she had to check her schedule. My side of the family isn't worth peanuts, so she was the only available family option. Monday 14th came and we didn't end up going to the concert. My wife is pretty upset. I have some simmering anger, but have maintained my cool. My MIL is always saying she needs to spend more time with my kids. They are older now, but my wife worries over leaving them alone. I guess it is lesson learned and we will plan better next time. That being said, I am pretty pissed and won't speak to my MIL for a bit. It's her mom, so that shouldn't be a problem. If my mother was still on this Earth, she would have taken them in a second. Hell, she would had them all of the time. Man, I miss my parents.

My wife loves Pink, so I purchased tickets in June for the concert. She was so excited. Last week I asked my MIL if she could watch our kids. She said she had to check her schedule. My side of the family isn't worth peanuts, so she was the only available family option. Monday 14th came and we didn't end up going to the concert. My wife is pretty upset. I have some simmering anger, but have maintained my cool. My MIL is always saying she needs to spend more time with my kids. They are older now, but my wife worries over leaving them alone. I guess it is lesson learned and we will plan better next time. That being said, I am pretty pissed and won't speak to my MIL for a bit. It's her mom, so that shouldn't be a problem. If my mother was still on this Earth, she would have taken them in a second. Hell, she would had them all of the time. Man, I miss my parents.
My in-laws were great at taking the kids.
My mom might show up for birthdays, if she knew there would be cake.

I consulted a financial advisor yesterday and concluded I needed to cash in my accumulated US Savings Bonds and free up the money for better investments, Many have been mature for so long that they have stopped paying interest. We are talking probably at least $20K in money.

So I went to my Credit Union. Turns out they no longer cash U. S. Savings Bonds.

It appears I have to go through the US Treasury to cash the bonds. I have an on-line account at US Treasury I established last year, but my Credit Union account was never verified as the correct account because they did not provide me with the correct very long account number, so US Treas no longer trusts that account. So to get the Treasury the correct account number I have to fill out a form and get the information verified and signed off by mutiple people and mail it in to the US Treas.

Nothing is even close to easy any more, is it?

I seem to remember many years back (maybe 35 or so) being told that with the introduction of computers, paperwork would be considerably reduced and admin would be a much simpler process. I think not. Things may have changed and we may have got rid of one pile of paper or a lengthy process, but we have also created another that at times is even more demanding and complex. :D

I consulted a financial advisor yesterday and concluded I needed to cash in my accumulated US Savings Bonds and free up the money for better investments, Many have been mature for so long that they have stopped paying interest. We are talking probably at least $20K in money.

So I went to my Credit Union. Turns out they no longer cash U. S. Savings Bonds.

It appears I have to go through the US Treasury to cash the bonds. I have an on-line account at US Treasury I established last year, but my Credit Union account was never verified as the correct account because they did not provide me with the correct very long account number, so US Treas no longer trusts that account. So to get the Treasury the correct account number I have to fill out a form and get the information verified and signed off by mutiple people and mail it in to the US Treas.

Nothing is even close to easy any more, is it?
Bureaucracy, the killer of civilisations.

Here in MN, everything needs a permit.
I got around that when I replaced my back steps by installing a "temporary" precast set. It's not attached to the house.
Do a crap job like my neighbor did on his re-roof and add-on, there is no way he got a permit and inspection on what he did, but still it would not be considered an improvement and probably brings the property value down instead of up.

Yesterday I took my boat out with my neighbors,grand daughter and boy friend and was having a really good time until it was time to go home, friggin engine wouldn't start. Ironically I have 2 trolling batteries that I could of tried but I had taken my tools out when I cleaned the boat. So after calling a tow service who tried a couple of times to jump the boat it finally started and we were in limp home mode, took forever. long story short 300$s for the jump service(would of been over 500$s if towed to where I launched. And finally 400$s for a new marine AGM battery that's warrantied for 4 years...Yeeehaaa got to love boats..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back