What Cheered You Up Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yet another great retelling of an important event in your life. I repeat my urge that you take up writing, but in the meantime, appreciate you sharing this bit of stressfulness I'm experiencing.

I'll share my own enlistment story one day. It involves waivers, a sudden death in the family, and a recruiter who just could not have been better.

I look forward to reading your story. I think recruiters have been given a bum rap; my experience was that he was truthful and really helped me go where it was best for me and for the Army.

I look forward to reading your story. I think recruiters have been given a bum rap; my experience was that he was truthful and really helped me go where it was best for me and for the Army.

Mine was the same: no BS, forthright, and in my case he did some hard work right at the end before I swore in. One reason I went with USAF was because he seemed the most straightforward of the five branches in my local office -- not that I was going onboard a ship at any rate, lol.

My recruitment was easy. I was a military brat on my 20th year in Germany. There was no recruiting station or MEP station. I took a German civilian train from Stuttgart to Würzberg where their was a recruiting office on Leighton Barracks. I already knew what job I wanted, new my test scores were more than high enough, and told him I wanted to fix and crew Hueys (during a previous medical exam it had been determined I was disqualified from flight school because of a condition that has been corrected since I left the military). The recruiter told me Hueys were out of the question, as they were no longer offering that MOS. He told me I could have Black Hawk helicopters though. I signed the dotted line, and took the train back home to Stuttgart.

2 month later when it was my report date, I took the train back to Würzberg. The recruiter put myself and three others who had signed up in the on base military lodge for the night. The next morning he took us to the train station and gave the "senior" one of us a packet with our orders, train tickets, and plane tickets to the US. We boarded a civilian German train to Frankfurt International Airport. My mom met me there, and bought me my last beer before getting on the plane.

We all then flew to Atlanta, Georgia, and then caught a connecting flight to Columbia, South Carolina. After 9 weeks of Basic Training at Fort Jackson, I went to 16 weeks of AIT at Fort Eustis, Virginia. After graduating AIT, I received orders back to Germany. Did my entire enlistment in Germany minus two deployments to the Balkans and Iraq.

I was in the last year of my enlistment when the draft ended, followed two months later by a letter to all college graduate Navy enlisted asking if they would consider a career as a Naval Officer. I was ordered to report to Officer Recruiting Center in Miami for an Aviation Officer Qualifying Test. So I put a flight suit on over my "cracker jack sailor" uniform, put on a helmet and flew the flying club's T34 up to New Tamiami where I was met by two incredulous brand new Academy Ensigns who were "stashed" at the Center awaiting billets in flight training. Their jaws dropped when I took off the helmet, put on my "dixie cup" and saluted them. All they wanted was to look at the T34, up close and personal. They were practically drooling.
Three days later, my chief got a call from the base CO, saying I was to report to his office IMMEDIATELY. When I got there, "old grimface" smiled and said "At ease, Sailor, have a seat. Cup of coffee?" He then read to me a letter from the CO of OffCruitCent Miami reporting that I had achieved the highest score in the history of that command, and offering his endorsement on my application to OCS.
In the end, I was denied a vision waver to get into the NFO program, the Aviation Maintenance Officer school had no available billets, but I was offered a slot in Naval Intelligence. Thanks, but no thanks. By that time I was looking forward to promotion to PFC (PROUD F**king Civilian), and my new Commercial Pilot License was burning a hole in my pocket.

Last edited:
I applied for helicopter flight training at Ft Rucker, AL but, like you, could not get a waiver for my less than 20/20 vision.

Users who are viewing this thread