What Cheered You Up Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Yup. Not for everything. I was targeted by scammers. I locked down my credit. Certain transactions with longtime accounts are automatic. For a new account or a one off, official transaction, I use a paper check. Sometimes having proof of delivery and a return receipt is a good idea.

Great day here in Michigan 80F, sunny, have the day off and took the LS2 powered Pontiac solstice for a vigorous cruise. No Pictures from today, but here is one from earlier this year
Sly on the BOTD.jpg
on the Back of the Dragon in Virginia.
IMG_3878.JPG
BOD 2.jpg

Last edited:
Great day here in Michigan 80F, sunny, have the day off and took the LS2 powered Pontiac solstice for a vigorous cruise. No Pictures from today, but here is one from earlier this year
View attachment 740001on the Back of the Dragon in Virginia.View attachment 739996View attachment 739994
Jeezus...

A Solstice with a V8 LS2? Cripes do you chase down Lambo's with that?

I'm soooooooo jealous right now. :thumbright:

The last Pontiac I owned I bought brand new in 1977, wish I still had it:

3_Can_Ams_at_Norwalk_30th_Anniv.jpg

Jeezus...

A Solstice with a V8 LS2? Cripes do you chase down Lambo's with that?

I'm soooooooo jealous right now. :thumbright:

The last Pontiac I owned I bought brand new in 1977, wish I still had it:

View attachment 740072
Thanks Peter, it Surprises quite a few Porsche and Corvette drivers! Handles great, it will run 11.2 in the 1/4 mile. at 119mph. Great road car.
I always wanted a Can Am, but never actually pulled the trigger on one. I was only 15 when they came out so I was to young to buy one new, and in the late 70's I could buy nice 65-72 GTO's cheaper so that is what I did.
Did your Can Am have a Black or Red interior?

The 66 GTO/Tempest/Le Mans were my favorite Poncho body style. Followed by my 79 droop snoot Firebird, which was a dog.

Thanks Peter, it Surprises quite a few Porsche and Corvette drivers! Handles great, it will run 11.2 in the 1/4 mile. at 119mph. Great road car.
I always wanted a Can Am, but never actually pulled the trigger on one. I was only 15 when they came out so I was to young to buy one new, and in the late 70's I could buy nice 65-72 GTO's cheaper so that is what I did.
Did your Can Am have a Black or Red interior?
Sure thing Jeff, I don't doubt there's more than one Porsche driver left with his mouth open. :cool:

Well, it's a long story, I was working at a Pontiac/Cadillac dealer in Ypsilanti Michigan (Chapman & Sons) when the Can Am came out. Our sales manager was a golfing buddy of Jim Wangers so, when the press that made the rear spoilers broke, there were a ton of white LeMans Sport Coupes sitting around. When the press was repaired (after the Can Am project was cancelled) they sent all the cars out to get converted and Jim slipped in a red one. Our dealership got it and after it sat around for a couple of months (!) I bought it.

It was Firethorne Red with red interior, T/A 6.6 ( Pontiac 400 C.I.D.) 4 bbl which we immediately installed dual exhaust with Trans Am side splitter tailpipes and removed the plate from the shaker hood scoop to make it fully functional. It sounded like a hell hound under wide open throttle.

For it's day it was a screamer, but that was the late 70's so that isn't saying much, it would however, lay about 40 feet of rubber if you wanted to but I think it tipped the scales pretty close to 4,000lbs, 3,700+ I think.

After a bit (or A LOT) of modification, read carb, intake, headers, ignition, tires etc. the best I could do down at Milan dragway was I think low 13's, can't remember off hand but I'm pretty sure I have the old timing slips stored away.

Had it restored in the early 2000's but in a fit of stupidity, I sold it in 2014 and have regretted it ever since it went on the truck. Don't know what I was thinking but hey, I got quite a pretty penny for it so there's that.

I'm at work but I'll dig up some pictures of it this weekend and post them, it was a fairly stunning looking car back in the day.

So you worked at the old Pontiac dealership on Michigan avenue? Now a Honda Dealer. Small world just about 5 miles from my house. I had heard rumors about a Red Can Am. I may have actually seen it in the late 1980's when I 1st moved down from Saginaw. I also had some interactions with Jim W and spent alot of time at Milan Dragway until it closed. It has reopened but I have not made it there sense. I heard they made alot of improvements.

I bought a '65 GTO coupe in the fall of '64 & drove it up to Royal Pontiac to be blueprinted into a "Royal Bobcat". Loved that car!
Very Small world sometimes, I spent quite a bit of time at George DeLorean's Shop with my older brother after he bought out the Royal performance business from Ace Wilson in the early 1970's. George was most of the reason my 1969 Grand Prix ran like it did. 428 H/O 4-speed manual. It rusted away to nothing by the late 1970's. Good memories!

As a "Royal Bobcat" that thing must have shredded pavement. Nice!
Yes, it was a fast car- 389 with 3x2 bbl carbs, close-ratio 4 speed, 3.90 limited slip rear end, heavy duty suspension, sintered metallic brakes, etc, etc. Lots of power. Driving it through the Allegheny Mountains between Bartow, WV and Staunton, VA was real fun. No cops... little traffic... great mountain roads. 1 hour 15 min. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back