What Cheered You Up Today?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

If one ever gets to see micro free flight in action, every thing will seem to be in very slow motion. People walk very slowly so as not to create drafts. The rubber powered models' props (seen in the video) turn at extremely low RPM. Wings are covered with "micro film". A winning flight can last for more than 15 minutes. Flying is done in a closed gym with absolutely no airflow in the building. Contestants use Helium filled balloons on long strings to guide models away from obstructions.

Used to know some guy from LTV that built fly powered biplanes.
There was an article in a 1950s model magazine about fly powered modelling. For the long, cold winters indoors. The goal is to catch motors (flies), put the container in the fridge to cool them till stiff but not dead and glue their underside to a waiting model, breath on them to warm them, and release. There was a pic of a tri-motor, but multi engines were discouraged as one fly would soon discover the others were doing the work and stop. I don't think modern instant glue would work, as it gets quite hot as it cures.

There was an article in a 1950s model magazine about fly powered modelling. For the long, cold winters indoors. The goal is to catch motors (flies), put the container in the fridge to cool them till stiff but not dead and glue their underside to a waiting model, breath on them to warm them, and release. There was a pic of a tri-motor, but multi engines were discouraged as one fly would soon discover the others were doing the work and stop. I don't think modern instant glue would work, as it gets quite hot as it cures.
The harder part is to find flies in winter, at least where I live.

Here in Florida an awful lot of work gets done in open hangars and other similarly ventilated facilities. For that matter, that was true in Oklahoma as well. The summer afternoon thunderstorms are often considered to be welcome relief from the heat.

We had a 48,000 sq ft fully air conditioned hangar in Louisiana.
You spoiled brats!!!! You had hangers?

1710504707228.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back