What did I do wrong (school)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I think your Dad is handling this very well, Harrison. No need to publicly drag her out of the classroom and humiliate her (at least not yet). All that would do would be to get her on the defensive, at which point she will NEVER apologize and admit she was wrong, and could very well lead to you having a very rough year in her class. Start small....quiet conference with teacher/principal, don't yell and scream and carry on, just a rational discussion of what the book is about and why you had it in the first place. If that doesn't work, and she's one of FBJ's artsy-fartsy nutcases, then bring it up to the school board. If they're too bound up in "oh holy crap that's a swastica we don't want to hear any more beyond that one minor fact" mentality, THEN call the press. The newspaper boys will eat this up!

Oh, and on another note, I've gotten in to the habit of taking the dust jackets off my books, more to protect the book than to hide what I'm reading (people will ask, I'll tell em!). That might spare you some misunderstandings at school in the future. And keep your dustjackets from getting shredded, if your backpack is anything like mine!

Thanks RA. I really didn't think of taking it off. I just found something!! I have a book about aircraft from the school library out and on the tail of an Me-109 is a big fat SWASTIKA. So they can't tell me anything about not having this book when a school owned book has it!

I hope everything turns out well for you Harrison. Like Heinz, I went to a school where the last thing you would be thrown out for was reading. Taking a trip down memory lane now :)lol:) I remember when I was in class (can't remember which one) and I was reading Maus by Art Spiegelmen and as we know it has a big swastika on the front, and the book was in plain view on my desk. The teacher didn't really give it a second glance. Just an example of different teachers handle things I spose. The only thing I got in trouble for as reading it when I was supposed to be doing my schoolwork! :lol:

Pardon the pun here, but if it doesn't work out for you, do as Joe said and throw the book at her! :lol:

I love them both so far :D

Dad sent a very subtle email for the facts that says.

Hi Ms. *******

Can you please explain to me what happened that involved my son heaving to leave the classroom?

He just wants facts and said if it isn't a response to his liking we'll go from there.

Have not read all posts, but as someone pointed out, the offending book is actually anti-nazi in its general posture. one has to ask if the music teacher is a pro-nazi objecting to the Nazis being suppressed.

If she is objecting on the grounds the book is pro-nazi, she should read the book first

Display of overtly nazi symbols is banned in Germany (for obvious reasons) , but nowhere else. Germany is a real problem for boardgamers, because simulation on WWII invariably have images of nazi paraphanalia on them. This instantly attracts a potential ban in that country. Its a silly rule, in my opinion

You should have had a book with Che's face or a red star. Those images are en vogue. Especially among the the teachers unions.

I feel bad for you. Probably not much can be done about it though.

What a sad story H. It's as your English teacher said, you are just a person who wants to learn more and your choice of book should not come into question. This book is about history and a very significant part of modern history that still impacts on today's society. Also the impact of the shutout on your emotions and feeling would have been hurtful. I hope that your Dad's cool and calm manner in handling this incident will soon get an effective and agreeable resolution that will give you peace of mind and that it includes an apology from the teacher in question. Good luck mate, to you and your Dad and keep reading, it's a great book.

:hotsun: :hotsun:

I think the title of the book says it all: "The Rise AND Fall of the Third Reich" (excellent book by the way, good choice)

Even to the casual observer, that title indicates the timeline of Nazi Germany...so does this "alledged" teacher live in a total vacuum?

I think that this PC society is getting a little too far out into left field for it's own good. Knee-jerk reactions like hers can be dangerous.

Hope your Dad gets this sorted out!

Thanks guys. I am bringing my books to school incase I get called to the main office and the school book with a swastika. But if I get called down without my dad knowing, he is going to be P-I-S-S-E-D

there is nothing wrong with anything you have done H if the teacher is so narrow minded as to believe reading these books makes you some sort of right wing extremist then she needs to be sent back to school herself . send her to me i will educate her "the old irish way "

What you did wrong: nothing. Unfortunately 'one bad apple spoils the bunch' - due to the existence of skinheads and neo-Nazis in this world, anyone who reads up on such subjects is automatically classed as such...

Just finished reading all the posts. WOW!! Harrison, I'm really sorry for what happened to you. I hope your father throws the book at her. What she did was stupid!! :evil: That's why she's a music teacher, and not a history teacher.
Funny thing, when I was still in high school, we had a guy in French class who was reading Mein Kampf. My French teacher see's this, but she doesn't throw him out. Instead, she supports him in reading Mein Kampf, saying that it is one of the best ways to get into the mind of Hitler and his ideology (Thank you Madame Bileca, I wish more teachers were like you!).
I hope all goes well Harrison! And, if you want to know about crazy teachers like this, just ask Vassili about one of his old Spanish teachers. Boy, he'll have a few whoopers for you.

Just finished reading all the posts. WOW!! Harrison, I'm really sorry for what happened to you. I hope your father throws the book at her. What she did was stupid!! :evil: That's why she's a music teacher, and not a history teacher.
Funny thing, when I was still in high school, we had a guy in French class who was reading Mein Kampf. My French teacher see's this, but she doesn't throw him out. Instead, she supports him in reading Mein Kampf, saying that it is one of the best ways to get into the mind of Hitler and his ideology (Thank you Madame Bileca, I wish more teachers were like you!).
I hope all goes well Harrison! And, if you want to know about crazy teachers like this, just ask Vassili about one of his old Spanish teachers. Boy, he'll have a few whoopers for you.

Don't remind me, bad times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back