What kind of pets do you have?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I have a foodloving and very very lazy cat..

Beagles are cool but remember some dogs are working dogs, beagles ,border collies, etc etc. They need alot of run time and excersise or they have a tendency of becoming bored which leads to destruction of the household, Just a heads up to future pet owners cause I've been there done that....

Heh...yeah, we found that out the hard way. Having two, though, works out well. They tend to entertain themselves by playing with each other, not the furniture.

Hey drgondog, my dog loves wolfhounds too, well..... he tries to!

Image008.gif

It has been my experience that a wolfie female in heat will stand for anything.. god help the critter that jumps une NOT in heat!!

Your dog seems 'ambitious'

I don't think that a more affectionate breed than the beagle exists. I've had them since I was a kid (we always had at least one as a hunting dog) and I recommend them to anyone who can accomodate their needs.

They are very social, and become anxious if left alone. Not a good choice for a lone dog in a house that's empty all day. Or outside for that mattter. They'll drive the neighbors crazy with their barking...They're not good dogs for control freaks, either. The males esp are incredibly stubborn, and because harsh treatment will ruin them, they demand a lot of firm but tender training. And they will not stay home, so you can't just let them out to do their 'business'.They get their nose to the ground and they're gone...

Around here, many end up in shelters because they don't hunt well enough to suit the owners. Usually just because they're too young. My previous dog was dumped because he didn't hunt well at 16 months. By the time he was three, he was the best dog I ever owned, and hunted like a champ until he was 12, when he started suffering from congestive heart failure. And even then he would have died trying.

If you do decide to get one, try the shelters and beagle rescue organizations.

JL

I have two dogs.
A Female shepard mix named Sheba that is almost 17 years old and a minature Male sheltie named Rex who thinks he is a German Shepard.
That is as long as whoever he is barking at is on the outside of the house.

The picture is Sheba. :)
I don't know what started it but whenever we give her a cookie she walks around teasing Rex with it before she eats it.
When Rex was a puppy she used to drape her paws over him and hold him down when he got too unruly. :lol:
She was never mean but she did let him know who was the boss.

Wheelsup
We just have the sheltie now.
I had to have Sheba put down today. :cry:
I knew it was coming but it still stinks to have to do it.

Wheels

S@it, I'm sorry wheels. I know how you feel. When I was younger, we had a labrador named Seamus. We loved that dog to death. Then, when we were twelve, we had to put him down. I don't think I've ever cried so much in my life before. :cry:

Kyoto 13 or 14 year old black cockerspaniel and Lady, Golden-lab mix from a rescue shelter.

Absolutely love both of them, but Kyoto's on his last legs, and my parents are thinking of putting him down, especially if he starts to show signs of pain.

When we first got Kyoto:
wonderdog-1.jpg

Kyoto's current appearance:
kyotocurled.jpg

Lady, being her usual ADD self....
Lady.jpg

We have at least one mouse, thing is no one invited him..........tried bread, pizza and chocolate in the trap but the little bugger won't go for it. Caught his mate in one night previously, so perhaps he's smarter than the average mouse?

Same here wheelsup, just think about all the good times you had with her. Our jack russell, Sugar, is nearly 20, she's starting to lose it now. She's not in any pain but you can tell her age is starting to take its toll. I'm dreading the day she goes.

Correction about Kyoto, my mom just called...she's taking him to be put to sleep. Apparently he had a major seizure. He had perked up when I came to visit, and my parents and I think that was his way of saying goodbye to everyone. He's been with me since grade school, and now I have to let him go, and I can't figure whether to choke or sob because of it.

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I appreciate them.
Sheba drove me nuts at times with her independence but I already miss it.
She was almost like a cat in that way.

Correction about Kyoto, my mom just called...she's taking him to be put to sleep. Apparently he had a major seizure. He had perked up when I came to visit, and my parents and I think that was his way of saying goodbye to everyone. He's been with me since grade school, and now I have to let him go, and I can't figure whether to choke or sob because of it.
I am sorry to hear that MacArthur. I was hoping for better news.

Do both. Every pet-owner here understands.
RA's right, do both we understand.

Wheels

Newest addition to the "pack"...
Found her abandoned in the street. She was scared and wet (it was raining), so I took her in. Don't know how exactly old she is, but veterinarian said she is definitely older then two months. She had some sort of skin disease, but she's better now...

Attachments

• Copy of photo_029.jpg
    Copy of photo_029.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 126

Users who are viewing this thread

Back