What would you like to see on this site?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

This has been eating my mind for (shut up! I heard that!!) quite some time now.... Why is there only Luftwaffe aircraft in the picture at the top, with ww2aircraft.net? Would it be possible to have it changed every now and then??

Hows about a ranking system based on you reputation andhow others see you i have seen this on other forums and it seems like a good idea....
When I first read your post, I thought that you meant a ranking system like Sergeant, Captain etc. etc. I have to admit that I've never seen the system that you're talking about....:lol:

We used to have that and we got rid of it.

In my experience with the 'ranking' systems you had three (sometimes interchangable) types of voters

5 star for those that 'agree' with you/one star for those who don't A lot of these exist where there are strongly polarized POV, such as in POLITICAL discussions

Objective people that might really care about the value of the post and usually only comment with a vote when something notable (thumb up or down) crosses his/her path.

Subjective people that may have no axe to grind but no real factual basis to award a 5 or a 1.

I was once a moderator five or six years ago and I noticed a pattern of some types of folks entering the forum, then note a flurry of 'negatives' showing up on another poster's 'rankings'.. then off again... life is too short for adult behavior sometimes.

I'm old enough to realize that not everybody is going to love my point of view (no matter how charming I know myself to be) so it didn't bother me to see some printed brilliance of mine get 'downchecks' - but it got nasty.. for different reasons than disagreements on POV.

I would offer that ranking is not such a great idea. (that should get me a mixture of 1's and 5s)

In my experience with the 'ranking' systems you had three (sometimes interchangable) types of voters

5 star for those that 'agree' with you/one star for those who don't A lot of these exist where there are strongly polarized POV, such as in POLITICAL discussions

Objective people that might really care about the value of the post and usually only comment with a vote when something notable (thumb up or down) crosses his/her path.

Subjective people that may have no axe to grind but no real factual basis to award a 5 or a 1.

I was once a moderator five or six years ago and I noticed a pattern of some types of folks entering the forum, then note a flurry of 'negatives' showing up on another poster's 'rankings'.. then off again... life is too short for adult behavior sometimes.

I'm old enough to realize that not everybody is going to love my point of view (no matter how charming I know myself to be) so it didn't bother me to see some printed brilliance of mine get 'downchecks' - but it got nasty.. for different reasons than disagreements on POV.

I would offer that ranking is not such a great idea. (that should get me a mixture of 1's and 5s)

Naw our ranking system was based off of the number of posts you had.

How about, when u make a post and that post goes to a new page, that the last post previously posted be copied over to the next page, so the continuity doesnt break when a new page is created.....

This sounds like a good idea.

Another thing I was thinking, what about a maximum size for photo's attachments, if they are larger than that they are automatically downsized.
Otherwise when someone posts a "huge" pic, it expands the text on the whole thread so that you have to scroll back forth to read.

It is supposed to work like that, and does for photos that are linked in. If they are directly attached, they are not resized. I think there may be a way to do that, I am just not sure how yet. It'll be a couple of weeks before I can actually sit down and concentrate of looking into it, but I will see what I can do.

It just occured to me that every few months or so, someone changes their siggy. I thought maybe we could have a place for old siggys, like "Njaco's Sigs" or something. Some old sigs were pretty cool. Of course, you can always just start a thread and add to it as things change. Just a thought.

This has been eating my mind for (shut up! I heard that!!) quite some time now.... Why is there only Luftwaffe aircraft in the picture at the top, with ww2aircraft.net? Would it be possible to have it changed every now and then??

That could easily be done by changing that image to an animated .gif, which are not very large in filesize. I would give it a try (if the Admins give the ok), but I bet Wurger and Njaco would be best at it.

I have to agree with Drgondog regarding the 'ranking' system being a bad idea, my reasons being that it might put people off commenting or sharing their views or opinions.
We have our experts here, which is great, but we also have people like myself who know alot about some subjects, titbits about others, and next to nothing about others.

To me any piece of info anyone can supply on a subject, no matter how irrelevent it might seem, might just be the key-pin someone was after that explains it all. It would be a shame to deter these comments.

There is no reason to use a ranking system. All one has to do is read a few of the old threads and they will know the subject experts.

DBII

Syscom has been posting some very good threads about inventions of everyday items. Thought it might go in the Technical section as it would be a shame to let them get buried in Misc. section. Or at least a better place. Really are good posts.

How about every year we set a local time for one minutes user silence in memory of all military personel around the world who have served their countries. By using local time the Minute would travel around the globe any member on line at the time could post their national flag to show the minute was over in their respective country, one posting per time zone/country (depending on it's size) would be enough.
As to the date every nation has its official days of rememberance so I suggest a date that is well outside any of these perhaps say 19:00 2nd January (thats just a suggested date/time) im sure you guys could come up with a better one.

I just thought about something... As we all know, there is already a game section on this forum... But what about a game review section ? That way, everyone could post a review of a game they already played so the others would know the strong and weak points of the game before buying it. (Or downloading it, if it is an abandonware/freeware game.)

I just thought about something... As we all know, there is already a game section on this forum... But what about a game review section ? That way, everyone could post a review of a game they already played so the others would know the strong and weak points of the game before buying it. (Or downloading it, if it is an abandonware/freeware game.)

Can you not just start a thread doing exactly that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back