What's on The Workbench

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And I just discovered a new fast way!

Squirt some of the white putty onto a bottle cap, take a q-tip dunked in nail polish remover, then swirl that into the putty and it makes a soft wet putty. From there take the q-tip and generously apply to all seams.. then wait to dry and sand. Hope it works!

Thanks for the info Terry, I like the vino so cap foil is here in abundance and if I need more I shall force myself to drink a fresh bottle.
Another question for everyone.
Some aicraft have bright metal surfaces/componants I have used guilding foil for reparing a chipped vase
and I know you can get it in chrome,silver,copper and gold It is microns thick and has to be applied over a coating that comes with the kit. Has anyone here tried using it in modelling and was it successfull ?

Hey mags did you say that you had finished your liberator iv,e been of the radar for while having a break from aircraft and doing a large bit of scifi .BB

Lee, some people prefer using foils for bare metal finishes, and they can look quite good. There is a company called 'The Bare Metal Foil Company' (honest!!), who supply various colours and tones, from chrome down to dull ally, self-adhesive, designed for modelling use. Personally, I find it a bind to do a whole model in this stuff, although the odd panel, for contast, can be ok, especially if replicating a highly polished surface. I'll probably use a wee bit when I do some of the panels on my 56 Sqn Lightning, which will be the first time I'll have used it in over 30 years!
But, if you're looking to do a whole aircraft in bare metals (NMF - Natural Metal Finish), have a look at my PDF 'Bare Metal Made Easy', somewhere here in the modelling threads. It works for large or small areas, and is especially good if brush painting, for those without an airbrush. It's a bit messy, but not overly so, and, unlike some NMF techniques, holds up well with time.
BTW, you've probably realised, but the wine-bottle foil I refered to is the lead/alloy type, not this platicky rubbish on some bottles nowadays!

You can get arrested for that sort of thing lucky HeHe.BB

here's some more pics after more sanding!

HPIM1363.jpg

HPIM1364.jpg

HPIM1365.jpg

I just painted it. though I shoulda sprayed something else over it first. cos it's white paint on white paint

How'd it go Rob? The problem with painting a white straight over the putty like that is the colour contrast which shows through. Multiple coats may not even fix it... (Trust me on this... :rolleyes: :) )

lol I've still got a Boeing 737 to do!

but thank god the green didn't show through the white. she just needs a third coat and she'll be ready for gray and chrome wings and tailplanes!

also, I started a bit of work on the 737 last night. though a bit doesn't count as it's the wings, tailplanes, fuselage, nose weights, cockpit, winglets, engines. lol I'm wayy too excited.

woo! 999th post!!

oh yeah it has! I just applied the final coat of white. now I just gotta figure out how to apply the light aircraft grey to the wings and tailplanes without screwing up the model. I know I gotta use the tape, but I'ma wait a while for it to dry and cure before I do the grey and the chrome

Revells 1/48 spitfire mark II.. Sprayed the topside and bottom up to check seams and all was well except for one area on the bottom. There is just a hole in it, it doesnt make sense as I covered the whole seam and sanded it. The rest looks very nice though.. most likely pics tomorrow

Users who are viewing this thread

Back