What's on The Workbench (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Did I score???? Dragon 1/32 warbirds series P-51D for $43.00 AU? I want to do a big Merlin's Magic when I finish the 1/48th scale. Is it as good as the Trumpeter. H*ll of a time to ask, after I've bought the thing. cheers, Bill

I'm in the prelim stages of an Academy RB-50G. My uncle few with the 91st SRS over Korea, China and Russia during the cold war. Looks like it'll be a good project. Anybody have experience with aluminum foil for covering the aircraft body?

Bill, the Dragon P51 is a very nicely moulded kit, with some really good detail - problem is, nothing fits!! Well, not on my example anyway. Don't worry about the initial reviews dealing with the overdone rivet and panel lines, as once painted, they look fine. The biggest problem, unless it's been corrected, is the fit of the internal parts, especially the cockpit and engine. For example, the cockpit floor, if cemented into one side of the fuselage, will not reach the locating lugs on the other side! Also, having spent a lot of time on the engine, I found I had to remove the cowling supports, and do some surgery and filling to allow the cowling to sit correctly. The metal 'hinges' for the control surfaces, and the springs for the landing gear are, I think, a gimmick, and are best discarded.
However, with care, and a lot of work, it builds into a very nice model indeed, and looks great.
I wrote a build review for this kit when it was first released, so if I've still got it, you're welcome to a copy.

AF that would be great. I went to the City to Hobbyco and saw the Trumpeter kit, $100AU. Any kind of "heads up" I can get would be appreciated on this one. Got my compressor the other day, just need an adapter for my air brush hose and I am off to do some painting on MerMagic. Side tracked with a 1/72 Academy easy build F6F-5 for a local OOB contest. But this will get me to warm up at painting again.

well, I've completed decaling the kit. it came with 2 AIM-9X Sidewinders and 2 AIM-120C AMRAAMs. but since this has so low armament, I've taken 4 extra AIM-54 Phoenixes that I had from an oooold F-14 kit (which is a POS, btw), repainted them, and retrofitted them to the remaining weapon pods. and yes, I know that the AIM-54 was never fitted onto a Hornet, but I don't care. lol. this gal's ready for A2A combat! :D I'm just waiting for the underside weapons to really adhere to the missile pods before I attach the AIM-9's

Bill, send me an e-mail address by PM, and I'll get the build review to you, it's probably a bit big to post here!
I'm afraid I no longer have all the photos which accompanied it, but I might have some 'reject' shots whch might help illustrate some of the points mentioned.
Terry.

Comstockkid, re the metal foil covering. I've used it a couple of times, years ago, when a separate adhesive had to be used, Now, Bare Metal Foil is self adhesive, and a little easier to apply. You'll need to apply and fit this panel by panel, although larger areas such as wings can be done with larger pieces of foil. It can be a bit fiddly, and expect the odd bit of wastage here and ther, but the finished effect is fine. Check reference photos and use varying grades of the availbel sheets (eg Polished, dull, etc etc.) to give a varied tonal effect/ Also, turning the same sheet. to vary the direction of the grain, can give some nice effects.
Hope this helps.

Concentrating on getting this finished at the moment, 1/72 Seafire Mk. 46, actually the Mk. 47 kit from Jays/Ventura but will end up a 46. My two most recent builds have been "shake the box and it's done" kits from Airfix and Tamiya, this is a different kettle of fish completely, it requires work! It turned into a bit of a war of attrition for a while but now it's got a layer of primer on it and has started to look like an aeroplane suddenly it makes sense somehow - these kits are known for their accuracy and I can see where that comes from.

IMGP0947.jpg

Some completed figures and a buck o'water! (2 more figures to do and i'm done with that). [Also see the skin tone variance, everyone has a different blend]

Attachments

• PICT1419.JPG
    PICT1419.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 126
  • PICT1421.JPG
    PICT1421.JPG
    47.2 KB · Views: 130
  • PICT1423.JPG
    PICT1423.JPG
    34.9 KB · Views: 121
Thanks guys.. glued everything down and only have 2 figures left. But everything else is set and ready, pics tomorrow of the finished product!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back