What's your favourite 4x4 and pickup? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well, I've owned a Toyota Land Cruiser G90 (1 year), a Land Rover Series III (10 years), a Range Rover (4 years), Jeep Cherokee (5 years) and a Suzuki Vitara (2 years). All were great, but for sheer fun, and 'go anywhere' universal use, the swb Land Rover took some beating, and repairs and servicing were cheap, more so when I could still do it all myself.
I'm to old and knackered to use one now, even though mine was kitted-out with rally seats, but I'd love a later 'Defender 90', even though it's totally impractical for my needs these days.
I wouldn't mind another Cherokee, but at 18 mpg (25 on a run with cruise control) and fuel at £6.40 per gallon (approx $9.5 US), it's not a viable choice!

I have had a Land Rover series 2a 88. To be honest, I didn't like it very much as my long frame just did not fit in it.
Sturdy, go anywhere, easy to fix all yes's but, why oh why could LR make the seat go back further?
LR defenders are still the same 'fit in it or **** off' design.
No wonder the Americans aren't that keen on the small cab :)

Don't have a favourite but I still have had a 1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 pickup and it's been great. It's the only pickup I've ever owned. My favourite 4 wheel drive was my Eagle Talon Turbo. What a blast.

I had a '56 Chevy pickup, 265 V8 with a 4-speed...loved the hell out of it, but my best all around pickup was my beast:
1973 Dodge powerwagon with a club-cab, factory 9 foot bed. With a 440 magnum, 1 ton suspension and Task-flight 727 trans, there was no place I couldn't go, nothing I couldn't haul and as ugly as it was...noway I could harm it's looks with dents or scratches :thumbleft:

My current 4x4, and I've had it 12 years, a 1982 Jeep J10. 360 V8, twin stick transfer case, cutting brakes, far from stock.
I use it mostly to tow my racecar, but also to get wood for my shop for the winter. My go anywhere, do anything vehicle.

'40 Ford pickup! A few other nice ones around, but that holds on to the Top 1 spot! :lol:
But I have to admit that I do like the '59 Chevy El Camino....

Which was better of the early El Camino and the Ranchero?

If its not Jeep, its not worth it.

I have owned 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 5.2 V8.

Right now I own a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.7 V6 (better for gas).

I soon want to add a 2010 to 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee, and eventually I also want a Wrangler, CJ7 and 1944 Willy's Jeep.

Jeep is the only way to go!

My favorite?

1978 Ford F-250 with a 351M and New Process 4 speed with a granny low and knuckle-buster shifter. Dana 44 front and Dana 70 rear with Detroit lockers. Truck could go ANYWHERE!!

ford734_z.jpg

Second was the 1969 Landrover 88 I had with an installed Chevy 250 6 cylinder and after-market tranny brake. Also went everywhere!

I've had a Dodge D50 4X4. A great truck as far as I am concerned. Only bad thing was the known tendency for the transmission bearings to fail at 50000 miles.

Second truck was a Chevy T10 4x4. Factory ordered. Overall, I enjoyed it. Off roading in some comfort. But engine reliabilty issues after 100,0000 miles soured me on it.

If I could afford it and had a need for it; I would get a Chevy Silverado.

My fav 4x4 would be the one in the showroom and not on the road!
Why women, and most men, are behind the wheel of 4x4's is beyond me.
Driving courses should be included in the selling price!

Probably because most with 4X4s don't know how to use them. I had a Jeep Cherokee and I took a friend out into the woods for a ride. Through mud, puddles and sand. Finally got bogged down in a deep puddle. He started freaking out, "We're stuck, we're stuck..." I just climbed onto the hood, reached over and locked the hubs in. He looked at me and said we're not in 4 wheel drive? I said we are now and rolled right on out. Some expect that when you get into a 4X4 it should automatically do everything. They fail to realize that 4X4 should only be used when really needed.

Probably because most with 4X4s don't know how to use them. I had a Jeep Cherokee and I took a friend out into the woods for a ride. Through mud, puddles and sand. Finally got bogged down in a deep puddle. He started freaking out, "We're stuck, we're stuck..." I just climbed onto the hood, reached over and locked the hubs in. He looked at me and said we're not in 4 wheel drive? I said we are now and rolled right on out. Some expect that when you get into a 4X4 it should automatically do everything. They fail to realize that 4X4 should only be used when really needed.

True. I actually hate it when certain womem (those that seem scared to drive), are driving them. It actually scares me.

To most, please correct me if I'm wrong here, but...to most, to own a 4x4 is nothing more but a fashion statement, like whatyacallit tractors here in the UK...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back