Which era....? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Something I learned about the Parthenon, Mike, is that the columns were assembled with such precision, that the cedar "pins" used to align and secure the sections were still as fresh and preserved as the day they were inserted thousands of years ago.

It both amazes me at the remarkable efforts used to build back then and disappoints me to the crappy way we build in this day and age...

M. H. Baillie Scott....was she ever built?

IMG_20210308_223428.jpg

My favorite visual art comes from the Impressionist era.

My favorite American writing comes from the 20s and 30s -- Hemingway, Fitz.

My favorite music comes from classic jazz, and heavy rock from the late 70s to the mid 90s.

My taste in architecture is scattered; I like classicism, but also like Art Deco, Baroque, Gothic, and Victorian buildings as well. I love the Chrysler Building.

chysler-building.jpg

I tend to look more at the individual work than eras or genres, though.

......had the best art, architecture etc.?
Well, I will talk about my country and modern era: (1800's - (Late Qajar era, Pahlavi, Isksmic Republic)) no idea about architecture, but Pahlavi's had best modern arts imo! In Qajar era, classic and traditional arts were common! And nothing about after 1979 events!

I'm gonna halfta go with anchient Greece Bob for 469 silver talents (one talent was the cost of an entire tireme, the annual gross income of the city of Athens at the time of Perikles was 1000 talents, with another 6000 in reserve at its treasury.)
IMHO the Parthenon is one of the most beautiful buildings ever designed or built with human perception in mind. All temples in Greece were designed to be seen only from the outside. The viewers never entered a temple and could only glimpse the interior statues through the open doors. Basically a Doric Temple in which many Ionic elements were incorporated. While the integration of Doric and Ionic elements on the same temple was not a new development in Greek architecture, it was rare.
There are no absolute straight lines on the Parthenon. The columns of the peristyle taper on a slight arc as they reach the top of the building giving the impression that they are burdened by the weight of the roof.
The peristyle columns are over ten meters tall, and incline slightly towards the center of the building at the top (about 7 cm), while the platform upon which they rest bows on a gentle arc which brings the corners about 12 cm closer to the ground than the middle.
The columns that appear at the corners of the temple are 1/40th (about 6 cm) larger in diameter than all the other columns, while they the space around them is smaller than the rest of the columns by about 25 cm. The reason for this slight adaptation of the corner columns is due to the fact that they are set against the bright sky, which would make them appear a little thinner and a little further apart than the columns set against the darker background of the building wall. The increase in size and decrease of space thus compensates for the illusion that the bright background would normally cause.
•Year Built: 447-432 BC
•Precise Dimensions:
◦Width East: 30.875 m
◦Width West: 30.8835 m
◦Length North: 69.5151 m
◦Length South: 69.5115 m
•Width to length Ratio: 9:4
◦Width to height Ratio (without the Pediments): 9:4
•Number of stones used to built the Parthenon: Approximated at 13400 stones.
•Architects: Iktinos and Kallikrates
•Parthenon Cost: 469 talents
You are correct. But you also have to include all of ancient greek and roman architecture. And if anyone says otherwise, well their opinion is WRONG ;)

You are correct. But you also have to include all of ancient greek and roman architecture. And if anyone says otherwise, well their opinion is WRONG ;)
I once went to the Oracle at Delphi, those Greeks really had no idea about constructing tourist venues, ridiculous climbs and trip hazards all over the place.

I once went to the Oracle at Delphi, those Greeks really had no idea about constructing tourist venues, ridiculous climbs and trip hazards all over the place.
The casual stroll up to the top of the Acropolis was a fun excursion, especially with the July sun making everything warm and toasty.
The final leg of the journey entailed climbing the tread-worn steps of the Propylaea...

The casual stroll up to the top of the Acropolis was a fun excursion, especially with the July sun making everything warm and toasty.
The final leg of the journey entailed climbing the tread-worn steps of the Propylaea...
Delphi started at a low level, as it became more famous it was expanded to hold "events" there is a big Spartacus type sports arena but the only place to build it was at the top of the hill and it was also in Summer, hot as hell with not a drink in sight. Driving back I saw a sign for "Acropolis" there are many in Greece, this was just a ruin, there was no place to pay, no information about it and no thought to safety there were many places you could just slip and fall down the vertical hillside. I was told it was mentioned in Homers works but now cant find anything about it (the "net" aint what it used to be).

Delphi started at a low level, as it became more famous it was expanded to hold "events" there is a big Spartacus type sports arena but the only place to build it was at the top of the hill and it was also in Summer, hot as hell with not a drink in sight. Driving back I saw a sign for "Acropolis" there are many in Greece, this was just a ruin, there was no place to pay, no information about it and no thought to safety there were many places you could just slip and fall down the vertical hillside. I was told it was mentioned in Homers works but now cant find anything about it (the "net" aint what it used to be).
Some evening, when you have time, go to Google Earth and retrace your route and find the stretch of road where you recall seeing the sign.
There may be an aerial view of the "acropolis" mentioned and perhaps help narrowing down your search.

Some evening, when you have time, go to Google Earth and retrace your route and find the stretch of road where you recall seeing the sign.
There may be an aerial view of the "acropolis" mentioned and perhaps help narrowing down your search.
I will try to find something out about it. It really was an experience, in the middle there had been a small Christian chapel and that had also fallen into ruins, so someone had put a just a cross in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back